Overcoats, More Overcoats and Other Hoya Inauguration Blunders

1. Jan. 23rd, 2009: A year of hope and change…except for DarnallScreen Shot 2013-01-17 at 7.28.43 PM
In 2009, President Obama was inaugurated for his first term. Unfortunately, the first headline Hoya readers saw was not one of his historic entrance into office, but of the crap-tastic nature of Darnall’s plumbing. As we enter 2013, not much has changed: same president, same Darnall struggles.

2. Jan. 23rd, 2009: Enter Tobias FünkeScreen Shot 2013-01-17 at 7.36.11 PM

I’m sorry, but all I can think of is the episode of Arrested Development in which Tobias gets his full leather outfit to be a “leather daddy” … Tobias storming D.C. against Obama? Tobias for president?

3. Jan. 22nd, 1993: Wait … so what kind of coats?Screen Shot 2013-01-17 at 7.26.09 PM

Georgetown alumni Bill Clinton steps into office and we have one question: Why is the inauguration being compared to melted animal fats? (Schmaltz is Yiddish for rendered animal fat, usually chicken fat. Thank you, Urban Dictionary.)

4. Jan. 23rd, 1981: The year of fighting steeds

Screen Shot 2013-01-17 at 7.59.27 PM

If you’re attending the inauguration this year, I would suggest taking a self-defense class to prepare yourself for possibility of having to fight off a stallion. I would like to point out that above this inauguration feature was an article about a 25,000-person march to honor Martin Luther King Jr. and, between those two beautiful and important posts, was the article “Hoya Pick-Up Line of the Week Award.” And yes, we will bringing this post back.

5. Jan. 19th, 1973: There are so many things wrong with this.

Screen Shot 2013-01-17 at 7.27.03 PM

I don’t know about you guys, but I have some major issues with the phrase ” … a castrated Congress limping into a new session …” Well, here’s to a new Presidential term and a fully … uhh … “equipped” Congress.

Happy inauguration! I’m sure that 30 years in the future, our current staff will be berated for their word choices and out-of-context headlines, but until then, we will continue to be sassy and snarky, just for you.