You CAN Contribute To Us!

Mean-Girls-Where-Now

Right now, we are looking for columnists for fall 2015, and that means we want to hear your story!

As a columnist, you are not technically a member of The Hoya’s staff, but an extension; so, if you love to write, but don’t necessarily want to report or work in production (or even if you do!), this is for you. You get to write a column, either for The Guide, Sports, Opinion or Business about a relevant theme. Your opinions, your words, our platform.

Applications are due Aug. 26 at 11:59 p.m. For more information, check out our Facebook event! We’re also looking for community members for our editorial board, so if you have strong opinions on campus and community issues, and have never been a member of our staff, we want you.

Below are examples of popular work from previous columnists:

Opinion

Georgetown, Financed by Slave Trading– Matthew Quallen (SFS ’16)

Quallen’s “Hoya Historian” column delved into the more unexplored, murky realms of the university’s history. This particular column won a first-place Bunn Award for Journalistic Excellence in Commentary.

The Photograph– Jinwoo Chong (COL ’17)

Chong’s summer column, “Party of Four,” adopted a personal, introspective tone, yet the editorial points can resonate with many readers.

The Perfect Pet– “Doug Freide” (COL ’16)

The satirical “Animals Among Us,” penned by the not-actually-in-the-Georgetown-directory “Doug Freide” injected dramatic creativity into the summer column rotation.

GUSA, A Comedy of Errors– Tucker Cholvin (SFS ’15) & Thomas Christiansen (SFS ’15)

Co-written columns, like “Culture Clash,” are also welcome, whether presented in a point-counterpoint fashion or just as a joint opinion.

Guide

A City Haunted by its Past– Margie Fuchs (COL ’16)

With the wealth of material presented by environs, study-abroad columns are popular, and Fuchs’ “Life on the Fringe” elevated the art.

Off the Straight and Narrow– Patrick Bylis (COL ’17)

Bylis’ “Life Unlabelled” took a look at LGBTQ life at Georgetown through a personal lens. “Off the Straight and Narrow” also won a commentary Bunn Award.

Sports

Serbia-Albania Brawl Exposes Soccer Politics– Max Fiege (SFS ’18)

Progress Threatens Culture– Matt Raab (SFS ’17)

Sports columns, like Fiege’s and Raab’s, offer students the opportunity to write on a wide range of professional and collegiate sports from different angles, including cross-disciplinary approaches.

Business

McDonald’s Worrisome Future– Sean Sullivan (MSB ’15)

2015: A Knockout Year for Technology– Celeste Chisholm (COL ’15)

Sullivan’s and Chisholm’s columns explored issues and events in the vast world of business in a smart, understandable fashion.

Everyone is welcome to apply, so why not give it a shot? Bonus: get your head shot rendered in extremely cool sketch format.

Photos/Gifs: popsugar-assets.com