Staffers of the Week: The Lovely Ladies

Staffers of the Week: The Lovely Ladies

Lady Staffers of the WeekOnce a week, The Hoya recognizes a staffer that has done a particularly awesome job – now you can get to know about them too. As part of our Leavey 421 series, we’ll be posting quick interviews with each Staffer of the Week!

As already mentioned this week, there were an astounding 5 staffers chosen for this week’s coveted award. We featured Hunter Main and Steven Piccione earlier, and so this second post will feature the other three staffers of the week: the lovely ladies.

Names Zoe Bertrand, Emory Wellman, Sarah Amos
Positions on The Hoya
Current Senior Layout Editor, Former Senior Layout Editor, Former Senior Guide Editor
Schools 
College, College, SFS
Years 2015, 2015, 2013
Majors Women’s and Gender Studies; Government and History; Culture and Politics
Hometowns White Plains, NY; Boxford, MA; Ft. Lauderdale, FL

What did you do to earn staffer of the week?

Zoe: I used an Adobe program I had never used before to make a whole bunch of cool graphics for our GUSA election poll.

Emory: While the current Layout Editor Zoe was doing an inordinate amount of beautiful GUSA garfs and pie charts, someone needed to design the rest of the A-section [of the paper]. Deputy Editor Autumn Rice and I were up to the challenge. I also made a lot of hilariously uncomfortable comments about a certain feature story.

Sarah: Because only a Catholic School Girl would be naive enough to take on The Guide’s first sex issue (along with co-editor and fellow Catholic School Boy Steven Piccione).

If you could eat only one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Zoe: Peanut butter & Jelly. No question.

Emory: This is probably the girliest answer possible, but Sweetgreen all day, everyday.

Sarah: Wisey’s Oreo cookies.

Who is your office crush?

Zoe: Ryan Bacic (Senior Sports Editor) 

Emory: Anyone willing to give me food. Braden is usually the most obliging.

Sarah: They (plural) graduated. They know who they are. (Kissy face. XOXOXO.)

What is your favorite part about working for the Hoya?

Zoe: Sitting in broken chairs with fun people.

Emory: Having a similarly insane group of people to hang out with. It’s also fun to pretend we are from “All the President’s Men.”

Sarah: Being a part of the last bastion of print journalism–the college newspaper–it’s a beacon of hope and learning. And having Steven Piccione buy f’real milkshakes for me.

What is the scariest experience you’ve ever had?

Zoe: I was riding very quickly down a very large hill on a mountain bike, and either my brakes or my brain stopped working. Either way, that hill was really scary and ended in a lot of pain.

Emory: Having my computer go “static-y screen of death” while I was on page 18 of my unsaved history paper during exam week. Or the times I have actually almost died while on a bicycle. Wear your helmets everyone.

Sarah: That time I almost joined The Voice …

What’s your favorite Pokémon and why?

Zoe: Phanpy, because I googled “cute Pokémon” and he was definitely the most endearing one. Also, his name wasn’t something stupid like “Munchlax.”

Emory: I know nothing about Pokémon but I’ve been told I look like a Lapras…? Don’t know if that spelling is correct.

Sarah: I didn’t watch Pokémon or trade the cards. I was still playing with Barbies at the age.

Editor’s note: I would like to revoke all three of their ‘Staffers of the Week’ because they all gave largely unsatisfactory answers to this last question regarding Pokémon.