How to Beat the Flu (Before it Happens)

Sneeze PicIt’s that time again, Hoyas: BeWell Week. So if your life is anywhere near as ironic as mine tends to be, you’re either deathly ill or you’re about to become so in the coming days. And, chances are, you’re about to get hit with that bizarre throatache-turned-flu that’s been hitting campus harder than these gymnasts hit the mat.

While 4E has given you tips and tricks before for beating illnesses, we’ve never really told you how to prevent them. So, before you catch the strange bug that’s going around, follow some of these pointers to keep yourself in tip top shape:

1. Don’t touch the railings I know, the Hilltop is covered in stairs. And I know, that means the Hilltop is covered in railings, too. But I beg you, please do not touch them. Handrails are homes to all sorts of viruses, bacteria and germs (E. coli and mucus are quite common… Yuck!) Just work your legs a bit harder than usual and don’t grab those railings.

2. Carry wet-wipes and/or a container of Purell This goes along with good ol’ #1 (see above). If you aren’t going to touch anything, then it might get a wee bit difficult opening doors, walking up stairs and going to the ATM. A little bit of sanitizer can go a long way, people.

3. Beat your illness before it starts I made a quick trip to Vittles today to give you the scoop on preventative medication.

One-A-Day Vitamins: $11.19 for a mega bottle.
Airborne immune booster: $9.29.
Emergen-C immune pack: $8.25.
Not getting devastatingly ill while the rest of Georgetown does: not priceless, but pretty darn close.

4. Eat well Neither The Hoya nor The Fourth Edition advocate stealing an orange or two from Leo’s, but I personally do, especially if it means beating the common college cold. Stick to those fruits and veggies; they naturally pack a punch to any of those pesky viruses that are circulating. Also, get some electrolytes in your system and use a healthy diet to keep your immune system in peak condition.

5. Get some (more) sleep I’m not trying to make a joke. Really. Though it’s really difficult to find any time to sleep while trying to balance the million and five things you’re juggling as a Hoya, getting 8-9 hours will save you a lot of grief in the future. Do it now, or you’re going to be doing it in a few days… just with a 102-degree fever.

Now, get Purell-ling, stop touching, start sleeping and prevent those illnesses, Hoyas!