Poli Sci for the Average Guy: Christie’s Jam Recipe

polisciChris Christie, the (usually) reputable, Republican Governor of New Jersey (and likely 2016 presidential candidate) has found himself in a bit of a jam. What did he do? We’re actually not entirely sure. But his staffers did do the worst thing people ever could do: They created a traffic jam (GASP!) on the route linking northern New Jersey to New York City. The jam created a sticky situation for all.

color-Christie-2016

Governor Christie’s (now former) deputy chief of staff has been accused of “endorsing the mysterious closure of several lanes of traffic in Fort Lee, N.J., as retaliation against the Fort Lee mayor for not supporting the governor’s reelection.” (If proven true, Christie’s red party might hit a major red light politically.) Critics of Christie have referred to the fiasco as “Bridgegate,” a pun on the infamous Watergate scandal. Is Christie the next Nixon, the-I-didn’t-do-that-oh-wait-I-did-that-oh-shoot-now-I-have-to-resign-from-presidency-president … or will he successfully dodge this political bullet and continue down the campaign trail?

christienom1Christie’s response to the whole charade has remained a persistent denial of his connection to the poor traffic control that took place. However, recently leaked emails from Christie aides have led Americans  – Republicans and Democrats alike – to question the honesty of this budding political leader. One such email sent from Christie’s then-deputy chief of staff Bridget Anne Kelly read: “Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee,” and was sent to Port Authority official David Wildstein, a Christie ally, on Aug. 13, 2013.

Kelly has since been dismissed, and Christie recently announced that he was “embarrassed and humiliated” by the actions of his staffers involved in the scandal. The U.S. attorney in New Jersey has also launched an official investigation into the matter.

With the traffic cleared up and the scandal getting foggier, two important questions remain: Was Christie himself tied to the traffic jam? And, more importantly, did Bill Clinton have sexual relations with that woman?

Photos: cagle.com