Hump Day Chomp: The Diner

humpdaychomp

Hump Day Chomp is a new weekly posting that intends, perhaps unsuccessfully, to make your Hump day a bit less humpy. We’ve found restaurants that are (mostly) cheap, rarely visited by our Georgetown amigos and, above all, pretty freaking good to get you through the week. 

Few culinary experiences can stimulate as much excitement as those enjoyed at our very own Leo’s. Some nights that begin with the highly anticipated dinging of the omelet bell, however, end in a deeply unsatisfying cheese-to-egg ratio, or, more horrifyingly, a lack of cheese altogether. After having despondently consumed a block of egg sprinkled with the occasional diced pepper or two, we can’t help but wonder what happened to the tomato and feta that we blatantly checked off on the omelet slip. Doesn’t writing “Thank You!!!” surrounded by hearts count for anything these days?

If you find yourself feeling like your aggressive politeness, excessive heart drawings and subtle winks at the gentleman with the frying pan have gone egregiously unnoticed one too many times, fear not. This week’s Hump Day Chomp hopes to take you off campus and into a venue where you can have your omelet and eat it too – and it will have tomato and feta if you ask for it.

Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 6.22.40 PMScreen Shot 2014-11-12 at 6.25.49 PM

The Diner in Adam’s Morgan is the perfect spot for weekend brunch. Situated on the neighborhood’s main strip along 18th Street, the restaurant is a quick walk from the bus stops that transport to and from Dupont. The Diner boasts a cozy, Sunday morning ambiance, with countertop seating and classic ketchup bottles, diner coffee mugs and bottles of syrup set at wooden tables. The one drawback is that you will inevitably face the age-old, paralyzing debate over whether to go with breakfast, brunch or lunch. The menu has everything from Western omelets to bread pudding French toast, from steak and eggs to chili cheeseburgers, and BLTs to grilled salmon. Not to mention, there’s a whole section of “Eye Openers” featuring mimosas, Bloody Marys and “adult spiked milkshakes.”

Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 6.23.36 PM

If you’re looking to explore a new slice of the District with friends over breakfast or lunch, head to The Diner and check out the other restaurants and shops along the main drag in Adams Morgan. Tryst, a cute coffeehouse and cafe and The Diner’s sister restaurant, is located just a few doors down (featuring Instagrammable latté art). Unless, you know, you’re really into the always unpredictable game of Russian Roulette that is the omelet-making process at Leo’s (which one will be denied cheese in this batch?).

Here’s hoping you use this hump day as an excuse to treat yourself. You are better than a feta-less omelet.

Photos: Stationstart.com, Flickr.com, dinerdc.com