Students Stick With Netflix Through Pricing Overhaul

Despite their dropping stock prices, customer dissatisfaction and projected losses, Netflix — the video rental and streaming website popular among college students — is exactly where it wants to be, according to company executives.

“Our long-term streaming opportunity is as compelling as ever, and we are moving forward as quickly as we can to repair our reputation and return to growth,” Chief Executive Officer Reed Hastings wrote in a letter to investors. “We continue to be well positioned to succeed in the large global market for streaming video.”

But according to reports released earlier this week,  Netflix lost 800,000 customers between July and October after the company divorced its online streaming and DVD-delivery plans and attempted to divide into two separate companies to manage the different aspects of its business.

Students may not be pleased with the changes, but many are sticking with Netflix anyway.

Take Cheney Williams (COL ’12), for example. Williams dropped her DVD subscription after the division and price hikes, but she kept her online streaming option so that she could keep up with the television shows she enjoys watching through Netflix.

“They have some really great TV shows on there, and they have a deal with Starz that lets you watch all of their shows, too,” she said.

For college students, many of whom do not have cable television, the ability to stream movies and television shows can be a draw. For Anwesha Banerjee (COL ’13) that option alone is enough.

“It’s great to be able to have all the movies online for instant streaming, especially to six different devices per family,” she wrote in an email. “We have each of our laptops, our large TV in the living room and our desktop all hooked up to it.”

With Netflix promising to digitize more and more movies in the future, Banerjee also agrees that the streaming service is likely the future of the company.

“Mainly, I got rid of the DVD part because I’m assuming they’re digitizing DVDs and there will be more and more options available online,” she added.

Like most of her peers, Banerjee does not understand Netflix’s price increases, and she believes that they will have to decrease their prices in order to compete with other rental services like Redbox.

Netflix, however, seems to have the market cornered on instant viewing, a fact that means that they do not have to compete with Redbox as much as it might seem. With a sizable online library, Netflix allows viewers to stay at home and watch movies whenever they want, while Redbox requires viewers to choose from a smaller selection after leaving the house.

“I just can’t be bothered to go get a movie from Redbox,” Ryan O’Donnell (MSB ’13) said. “I just open my computer and watch.”

As for the price increase, O’Donnell looks at it as a kind of necessary evil.

“The price increase was not ideal, obviously, but I think the streaming is pretty solid,” he said.

In his discussion with investors earlier this week, Hastings defended the company’s pricing by touting its content.

“We think that $7.99 per month for streaming is such a great price that we should focus on upping the content,” he said. “We think the future is brightest when focusing on streaming.”

For now, it seems that college students are in agreement, keeping their online streaming accounts despite the price hikes.

“I use Netflix,” O’Donnell said. “I probably use it too much. I wouldn’t drop it.”