3 Percent Tuition Rise Approved

Georgetown University’s undergraduate tuition will rise by 3 percent for the 2010-2011 academic year as the budget for undergraduate financial aid will increase by 8 percent, according to a university press release published yesterday.

“An increase was necessary in order to fund the rising operating costs of maintaining our facilities, supporting our faculty and enhancing our academic programs and services,” Andy Pino, director of media relations, said. “This increase is among the smallest percentile tuition increases of the last 40 years.”

The increase approved by the Board of Directors last year for the 2009-2010 academic year was 2.9 percent, which was the smallest percentile increase since 1973.

Current tuition for undergraduate students is $38,616, an amount that will increase to $39,768 next fall. The total cost to attend Georgetown as an undergraduate, including the average cost of room and board, which is set to increase by 2 percent under the new measures, will be $52,443.

“We understand that the lagging economy is having a real impact on our students and their families,” said University Provost James O’Donnell in the press release.

He added, “We expect the need for financial aid will continue to grow, and we are prepared to help.”

According to Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Charles Deacon, this increase does not cause any concern for his office. Georgetown admits applicants based on a need-blind policy.

In November 2009, [Forbes listed Georgetown’s cost of attendance as the second most expensive in the country](https://saxaspeak.thehoya.com/2009/11/09/in-for-a-penny-in-for-a-pound/). Sarah Lawrence College was listed as the most expensive, with total cost at $55,788 a year.

“I think that a 3 percent [increase] is significant because we were already ranked number two in the list of most expensive colleges,” Ruiyong Chen (SFS ’13) said.

Graduate program tuition will also increase, according to the press release.

Some students said they believe that as long as the funds are used effectively, the tuition hike is permissible.

“If the increase is because of an increased demand for financial aid, then it’s understandable,” Ben Mishkin (SFS ’13) said. “The school should be committed to financial aid. As long as the increase is commensurate with other peer institutions, then it shouldn’t have an effect on the applications and admissions field.”

[Read the original Saxaspeak post here.](https://saxaspeak.thehoya.com/2010/03/01/board-approves-tuition-increase/)

**Note:** This article was modified at 3:58 p.m. on March 4.