School or sNOw school?

by Erin Collins

Earlier today we posted about how to deal with the current lack of winter, but the second anniversary of Snowpocalypse is quickly approaching, and who doesn’t wish that another  snowstorm would hit D.C. to relieve us of classes? We all fall asleep hoping to wake up to an email informing us that Georgetown has closed due to the District’s lack of snowplows. But honestly, when do we get to see Healy buried in white again?

Recent Georgetown graduates Brandon Brauer (MSB ’10), Ben Zeidler (COL ’09) and Mike McCormick (MSB ’11) have developed an app that calculates your school’s probability of a snow day. The “sNOw School” app predicts the likelihood of a snow day by combining an original algorithm, local weather forecasts and your school’s snow day history. It is now available at the Apple, Kindle Fire and Android stores.

This app serves high schools and universities in the D.C., Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore  areas, so Georgetown students are in luck. After purchasing this app, students select their school, and then the app displays the forecast and snowfall in their area.

Besides the mini-snow storm Georgetown experienced last Friday, chances of a snow day at Georgetown appear grim. But don’t lose hope just yet – even when the skies are clear, this app provides the chances of a snowstorm in your area. And for all you optimists out there, the app allows you to manually adjust the forecast to see how more snow at different times can affect the chances of a snow day.

We no longer have to rely on wearing our pajamas inside out, sleeping with a spoon under our pillow, or snow dances. Thanks to our fellow Hoya’s hard work, snow days are no longer just a guessing game.

So, for all of you “sNOw school” users, when will we get our next snow day? (Ed. note: feel free to place bets in the comments. Anyone who guesses correctly wins a prize!)

Check out the app at https://www.snowschoolapp.com/