An Interview with Bossier

Bossier Interview

Last month, a group of Georgetown students launched Bossier – “a student magazine on campus that is devoted to promoting discourse about women’s issues and publishing work by women.” The creators of the magazine Tiffany Tao & Michele Dale, came up with the idea of Bossier because they thought it was something lacking from Georgetown.

14470606_598519600327845_5840983633542824640_n

To learn more about Bossier – pronounced BOSS-ee-ay – I sat down with the creators. Before reading this interview (and of course after reading this interview and every couple of days), I suggest you check out the ‘zine. (-zine is short for magazine, don’t worry it took me 20 minutes to figure it out too).

The interview began with some biographical information. Both Tiffany and Michele are SFS ’19 and share the same favorite professor – Lahra Smith who taught their freshman proseminar where they met. Michele is from New York and plans to major in STIA and Tiffany hails from New Hope, PA and will major in CULP.

They decided to create Bossier, because they thought it filled a space on campus that was missing: the creative side of the female experience. It has the potential to connect professional lives, as well as personal interests. Tiffany added that they want a platform for different voices and to foster dialogue around issues. It’s a place where ideas can be shared, but not sanitized.

bossier

As the founders, they are obviously very excited for their baby to take off. Michele is pumped to read people’s submissions and see what Georgetown students will bring to the table. Tiffany can’t wait till the physical magazine itself is published next semester. The magazine, displaying students’ art, is itself a work of art. I know! I’m hype and you should be too!

For the last ~serious~ question, I wanted to know what Bossier meant to them. To Tiffany, it is the club that was missing from her freshman year. A community with similar interests and different ways of expressing them with a platform to do so. Michele, sees it as incredibly touching to watch people’s reactions to the platform and to see what members of the community want to share. Both are excited to provide this platform and give students a creative outlet.

Now it’s time for some ~fun facts~ about the founders:
If Michele could be Tina Fey she would be. So naturally her favorite female lead in a TV show is Liz Lemon. She also loves Beyoncé (maybe Bossier could have an interview with her one day – just a suggestion). Tiffany loves Sandra Oh on Grey’s Anatomy, Cher from Clueless and the Spice Girls. This sounds like the dinner party of the year waiting to happen.

And finally some of their favorite authors.
Michele: Joan Diddion & including her work: Slouching Toward Bethlehem. She also loves Norah Ephron who has written works such as When Harry Met Sally. Tiffany agrees with Michele’s choices and is a big fan of the bloggers Rebbeller Leandra Nedine and Emily Weiss.

So if you haven’t already checked Bossier out, 4E suggests you put off studying for that midterm a little longer, and check it out.

Note: Anyone is welcome to submit, so if you are considering, they both highly encourage it.

GIFs/Photos: giphy.com, facebook.com, bossiermag.com