If The Shoe Fits …

shayla

This past Friday, freshman Georgetown basketball player Shayla Cooper attempted to block a three-pointer by throwing her shoe.

No, that wasn’t a typo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IB-sVsfaWo

You have to admire her quick thinking and innovation, so here are a few other things you can achieve by throwing your shoe:

1. Stopping the Leavey elevator doors from closing because once you miss one of those, you have to wait another hour for it to come back.

2. To take down the person in front of you at the Diner who is about to take the last batch of chicken fingers.

3. As an alternative to throwing your graduation cap after commencement.

4. Just because you didn’t feel like holding it anymore

5. To flee the ball and capture the love of Prince Charming.

And you may be wondering, “wait … is she allowed to do that?” and the answer is sadly no. Check out this quote from the Associated Press

Even with increase in fouls, not everything has been caught. In the Georgetown-Richmond women’s game Friday, freshman Shayla Cooper lost her shoe early in the second half and tried to block a Spiders’ 3-pointer by throwing her sneaker at the ball. She missed and so did the officials, who didn’t call a foul on the play. Or even a ‘soletending’ violation.

” ‘Picking up a shoe and throwing it is not a rule in the rule book,’ [NCAA women’s basketball secretary-rules editor Debbie] Williamson said laughing. ‘It’s an unsporting act as there’s no rule for throwing equipment. It should have been an unsportsmanlike foul.’ “

This isn’t a play we’ll likely forget anytime soon, so enjoy this gif to commemorate the moment.