No Snow, Not Closing, Coping

by Michelle Cassidy

It seems that we’re facing a fairly mild winter in D.C. – despite this past weekend’s snowy excitement, temperatures are predicted to be in the 40’s and 50’s for the rest of the week. Walking around in a t-shirt and shorts in late January is kind of fun, we admit it. But we also miss some of the qualities of a real East coast winter.  Here are a few strategies to help you cope with the unseasonable warmth.

• Get out of here! While Georgetown’s campus isn’t a winter wonderland at the moment, you don’t have to go too far to find one. Outdoor Ed is running Wednesday night ski trips to Ski Liberty in southern Pennsylvania. If you hurry, you can grab one of the last spots for this Wednesday’s trip. Already have plans for tomorrow night? No worries, Ski Nights last until the end of February.

• Take the plunge If you’re feeling a little too warm, why not try a polar plunge? The Washington Post has assembled a list of all the nearby polar plunges, plus some helpful tips for avoiding hypothermia.
  • Eat some Moose Tracks This delicious combination of peanut butter cups, ice cream and fudge can make anything better. If you eat it fast enough, the brain freeze might be enough to imagine more of a chill in the air. When you stumble upon some at Leo’s, don’t let it go.
  • Try alternate construction materials Hoping to build an igloo on Healy Lawn? Unless you feel like using ice-cube trays, you probably won’t get very far. So instead of snow, let’s use mud. There’s plenty of it, especially on Copley Lawn. You’ll even have a built-in moat around your new living space, conveniently filled in by the 2 a.m. sprinklers.
  • Rollerblading is the new skiing Pros: doesn’t require a lift ticket, works just as well on flat surfaces as downhill, can be worn subtly in class. Cons: you might never be as cool as this guy.

File Photo: Meagan Kelly/The Hoya