OWN IT Speaker Profiles: Shiza Shahid

OWN IT Speaker Profiles

After last year’s overwhelming success, the OWN IT Summit is back! As The Hoya is the campus media partner, 4E will be periodically bringing you profiles of the illustrious speakers. Today, 4E is proud to profile co-founder of the Malala Fund, Shiza Shahid!

time-30-under-30-25

Shahid was born and raised in Islamabad, the capital city of Pakistan. She began her life of activism at a young age.

482723471_1280x720

At 18, Shahid received a scholarship to Stanford University and moved to California for the next four years.

cq5dam.web.1920.1280

After finishing her degree, she began working for McKinsey & Co. in Dubai as an analyst.

social_entrepreneurs

In 2009, Shahid watched a New York Times documentary about Malala Yousafzai and reached out to her asking what she could do to help. Shahid then organized a camp in Islamabad to empower young girls to be activists and entrepreneurs.

3020828-inline-i-1-meet-shiza-shahid-the-woman-powering-the-malala-fund

In 2012, Malala was hunted down and shot in the face by a member of the Taliban. She was transferred to a hospital in London and Shahid flew there to help oversee her medical care. “While I was there by her side,” says Shahid, “she woke up and said, ‘I want to continue my campaign.’ ”

8c176882c59b8aa17c76a753722ccff0

After this, Malala’s family and Shahid came up with the idea for the Malala Fund. It took around a year for Malala to convince Shahid to run this fund for her, but eventually Shahid became the organization’s CEO. The Malala Fund is a nonprofit that aims to educate every girl.

content_Shiza-Shahid-2

The fund launched Oct. of 2013 and so far the fund has received around $400,000: half from the World Bank and half from Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt.

Screen-shot-2014-08-17-at-7.29.30-PM

Shahid has been named TIME Magazine’s 30 Under 20 World Changers and one of Forbes 30 Under 30 list of social entrepreneurs.

shiza_1-682x1024

Shahid also participated in the Ted Talks program, delivering a speech entitled “There are no Superheroes, Just Us: My Journey with Malala”.

maxresdefault

If you have a ticket for the OWN IT summit on Saturday, Mar. 28, get ready to meet and be in awe of Shiza Shahid and learn about her amazing journey with Malala. While the sign-ups for speaker sessions might be over, you can still get a chance to meet her at the event. What is more exciting than that?

Photos: speakerdata.s3.amazonaws.com; vimeo.com; hm.com; forbes.com; fastcompany.net; twitter.com; austinway.com; youtube.com; cargocollective.comzooeymagazine.com

Information: https://www.forbes.com/special-report/2014/30-under-30/social-entrepreneurs.html; https://www.forbes.com/sites/emilycanal/2014/09/18/how-shiza-shahid-and-the-malala-fund-are-championing-for-girls-rights/; https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/230986