Rangila Preview 2015

RangilaPreview2015

For the past two decades, the South Asian Society has hosted Rangila, a massively popular event showcasing a variety of South Asian dances, performed and choreographed exclusively by students.

This year, Georgetown’s 21st Rangila show will take place on Nov. 21 and Nov. 22 in Gaston Hall. Tickets are now sold out for both shows!

The event’s main mission, in addition to allowing students to dance their hearts out, is fundraising for the Pritnam Spiritual Foundation, which provides medical care to people injured in the India-Pakistan conflict.

4E’s staff interviewed choreographers from this year’s Rangila dances to get their thoughts about Rangila “Are You Game?”. Read them below!

Bollywood

1. Can you explain your group’s style of dance and what you enjoy most about it?
Our group’s style of dance focuses on contemporary music, both Indian and non-Indian, and tries to blend athleticism, precision and energy into a cohesive piece that is both entertaining and exciting.

2. What’s your group’s spirit animal?
I would say that our spirit animal is the fox because we strive to be intricate and precise on one hand while also being powerful and commanding the stage. Also, foxes are my favorite animal.

3. What costumes will your group be wearing for the performance?
Our costumes are probably one of coolest parts of our dance. There are four sets (2 for the girls, 2 for the guys) and they each look very different. Our dance will be an exciting mix of colors, representing the fusion that we are of Indian and American styles and cultures

4.  What kind of fundraiser is your group doing to benefit the Pritnam Spiritual Foundation?
We are raising money for the Pritnam Spiritual Foundation in two ways; first, we are all reaching out to friends and family and encouraging them to donate money to the organization’s worthy cause and, second, we are also buying each other flowers during the week leading up to the performance to not only bring a smile to our dancers’ faces, but also to raise money.

-Vikram Shah (SFS ’16)

Old School

1. Can you explain your group’s style of dance and what you enjoy most about it?
The style adheres mainly to what you would see in a Bollywood movie’s dance sequences, sprinkled with a special air of nostalgia, because these are older songs. It’s music that we grew up listening to, so it’s nice to relive those years when we were able to pick our noses without reprimand. The whole environment created by these factors helps us enjoy the dance.

2. What’s your group’s spirit animal?
The woolly mammoth.

3. What’s your favorite song to dance to?
Tera Rang Balle Balle (everyone is in that section, so we enjoy a sense of solidarity with our troops).
4. What costumes will your group be wearing for the performance?
Guys: red vest, black t-shirts and black pants. Girls: skirts, blouses and scarves.

-Parth Shah (COL ’16)

Salsa Masala

Rythmic, yet passionate. The Latin fire and Bollywood romance drive us.

2. What’s your group’s spirit animal?
Charizard.

Let’s just say velcro is involved.

4. What kind of fundraiser is your group doing to benefit the Pritnam Spiritual Foundation?
To this point, more Salsa dancers have bought flowers (the proceeds of which go to PSF) than every other dance combined.

-Joe Puthumana (COL ’16)

Folk

Folk is a really unique dance because it’s so open-ended. Our routine is inspired by traditional dances from regions around the South Asian continent and we choose songs that reflected “folksy” sounds from both South Asia and the U.S. One of the most enjoyable aspects of Folk for us as choreographers is that we get to pull on so many different styles of dance to really create this eclectic routine that mixes all our favorite parts of different dance forms together.

2. What’s your group’s spirit animal?
Hmm, a spirit animal that captures how diverse both our dance and our dancers are is kinda hard! We’d have to go with a chameleon though, since we get to change our style as much as a chameleon can change its color.

The girls are wearing lehengas, which are long skirts and short blouses. They will also have a scarf that goes across the front and over their heads. The boys are wearing very loose-fitting pants, short tunics and scarves around their necks.

We are all participating in the Rangila-wide fundraisers of flower sales, tshirts, tickets and asking family and friends to donate to Pritam Spiritual Foundation. I know we are all incredibly dedicated to Rangila as dancers and choreographers, but what makes this event so special for us is that we know that in the long-run, our hard work doesn’t just pay off on Gaston’s stage; it pays off when innocent people who are caught in the Kashmir & Jammu conflict get a second chance.

-Piyusha Mittal (SFS ’18), Monika Bapna (COL ’17) and Mackenzie Trumbull (COL ’16)

Desi Beat

Desi Beat is a hip-hop Bollywood fusion dance that combines popular hip-hop moves with Bollywood-inspired Indian moves. It’s got a little bit of everything, from slow sexy songs to fast-paced Bollywood.

2. What’s your group’s spirit animal?
Our group’s spirit animal is a tiger, because we’re fierce and flawless.

Our favorite song to dance to… that’s a hard one. My personal favorites are Imaginary by Imran Khan and our finale!

We’ve been sending flowers to one another and participating in the #ShakeYourSAS challenge. Nesh, Lucy and I also got cupcakes smashed into our faces by our dancers to help raise some more money.

-Sama Rao (COL ’18)

Senior Independent

Senior Indep is a very unique dance as it’s a collaboration among Seniors who have either choreographed a Rangila section in the past or been a member of the South Asian Society board. The goal of the section is to incorporate all the different styles of dances that are displayed in the other sections of the show. This includes Hip Hop, Garba, Raas, Classical and, of course, Bhangra.

Since this dance is made up of choreographers who have substantial dancing and teaching experience, we are really able to incorporate some pretty unique and high level moves. Furthermore, it acts as a great way to bond with our fellow Seniors for what is our last time performing in Rangila!

2. What’s your group’s spirit animal?
An owl since our practices start extremely late.

We will be featuring Hotline Bling in our dance sung by the infamous Canadian Superstar, Aubrey Graham.

-Aakash Bhatia (MSB ’16)

Invocation

We’re dancing in the classical South Indian style called Bharatanatyam. It’s a really beautiful art form that allows you to tell cultural stories through dancing.

2. What’s your group’s spirit animal?
Nataraj.

Mundian To Bach Ke – Punjabi MC.

4. What costumes will your group be wearing for the performance?
Traditional Bharatanatyam outfits with bells on our feet.

-Saumya Bollam (COL ’16)

Senior Bhangra

Bhangra, a high-energy dance form that hails from the northern state of Punjab in India, can best be described as “an explosion of happiness.” The moves are simultaneously structured, powerful, full of confidence, graceful and smooth. When all of us dance Bhangra together, we are united in this charismatic way that causes our heart rate to increase and our hearts themselves to swell with joy. It is a special experience to perform this type of dance with over a hundred of your fellow Hoyas on the prestigous Gaston Hall stage and we are excited to showcase the beauty and strength of Bhangra to our family and friends.

2. What’s your group’s spirit animal?
A baby golden retriever — fun and full of energy!

We will be wearing traditional Punjabi costumes – they’re all really colorful and each person wears a shirt, vest and either pants or a chaadar.

-Madhav Paul (COL ’16), Pallavi Tatapudy (NHS ’16), Sharanya Venkataraman (SFS ’16) and Jaysel Shah (SFS ’16)

Garba

Garba is traditionally danced during the festival of Navarati and originates from the state of Gujarat. It’s an all girls dance during Rangila that is fast-paced, sassy and distinguishable by its concentric circles. We love dancing together more than anything! We all met during Garba last year and had such a great time that we decided to become choreographers too. The friendships are definitely the best part of Rangila.

2. What’s your group’s spirit animal?
Elephant.

Single ladies!

Incredible lengths that are intricately embroidered and very colorful. They’re definitely going to pop on Gaston stage!

-Sitaara Ali (COL ’17)

Classical Fusion

Classical Fusion this year is a combination of Bharatanatyam, a traditional dance from South India and inspiration from modern dance and Bollywood. We’ve showcased the grace and the beauty of Bharatanatyam fused with powerful, bold and sassy moves. Our dance is a lot of fun, because it’s really high energy but still involves elegant movements.

2. What’s your group’s spirit animal?
An octopus! CF involves a lot of complex arm movements.

3. What’s your favorite song to dance to?
We think all the songs on our mix are fantastic, but we especially love Bad Blood! We love to get down with our girl Taylor.

Our dancers will be wearing traditional Bharatanatyam costumes and some variations on traditional dance costumes. Our dancers are also going to have really awesome ghungroos or ankle bells to show off their amazing footwork!

-Roopa Mulpuri (SFS ’18)

Arab Fusion

Arab Fusion combines Middle Eastern dance styles including traditional Arab dabke, Turkish folk and belly dancing with Bollywood steps and American lyrical and hip hop moves. Think Princess Jasmine meets Deepika Padukone meets Beyonce.

2. What’s your group’s spirit animal?
Our spirit animal is most definitely a White Tiger.

We will be wearing bright and colorful harem pants and blouses with coin skirts and matching scarfs!

We are participating in the #shakethatSAS initiative and have challenged President John DeGoia and our very own Jack the Bulldog to either shake their SAS or buy flowers for all 36 of us. All proceeds from flower sales go to the Pritam Spiritual Foundation so we really want to see President DeGoia shake his SAS but would love flowers anyways!

-Shreya Barthwal (COL ’17)

Raas

1. Can you explain Raas’s style of dance and what you enjoy most about it?
Raas is a traditional folk dance style that originates from Gujarat, India performed with daandiya, or sticks. It is often done during festivals, and in large groups. We enjoy the high-energy, inclusive aspect of Raas. The dance is usually performed in concentric circles, with many partners so there’s plenty of opportunity to get to know everyone in the room through this form of dance.

2.What’s your group’s spirit animal?
Raas is a group dance, and is performed by rotating to the music in circles. Raas’s sprit animal would be a manatee (slow, steady and social).

We have so many!! But our favorite group activity is to….. SHUT UP AND DANCE!!!!

4. What costumes will Raas be wearing for the performance?
Girls will wear traditional lenghas, which consist of a skirt, a blouse and a scarf embroidered with mirrors and jewelry. Boys will wear kurtas, or embroidered tunics.

-Alexa DeAngelis (COL ’16), Neharika Khandavalli (COL ’16) and Nivedita Jejurikar (SFS ’18)

Bulldog Bhangra

Bhangra is a high energy and fast paced dance from the northern region of Punjab in India. It is so much fun because all the moves are high power and require so much energy to dance to them. It is difficult to learn at first because the moves can be hard, but once you learn, you can Bhangra anywhere to any song. It’s one of those styles of dance that you can apply to any high energy song, and you get a work out dancing as well. Bhangra is always a crowd pleaser because it is a form of dance that everyone enjoys to watch because it looks so amazing and unique on stage.

2. What’s your group’s spirit animal?
Our groups spirit animal would have to be a monkey. Monkeys are full of energy, jump around, and are just crazy. Bulldog this year is such a fun-loving group and we have had such a great time this semester with each other just dancing and having fun. Also, who doesn’t love monkeys in India, we are just a lovable group.

Our favorite song to dance to would be Headband. It’s been amazing to dance Bhangra to such a popular party song, and it shows that Bhangra can get down as well. Our favorite part is applying Bhangra moves to non-Punjabi songs and surprising our audience.

We will be wearing traditional Bhangra costumes for Rangila. The boys wear a Chaddar, a type of cloth that you wrap around your legs, and a Kurta for a top which is a long shirt. The girls wear Salwars as pants, and they are flowy and loose and the shirts for girls are callled Kameez that are long as well and are knee length. The girls also wear scarves called chunnis, which is traditional to every Punjabi outfit.

-Harneet Kaur (SFS ’17)

Thanks to everyone who helped out with the preview. Special thanks to Aakash Bhatia, President of the Georgetown South Asian Society, for helping us with this post.

Photos/Gifs: facebook.com

Contributing Bloggers: Courtney Klein (SFS ’16), Catherine McNally (NHS ’17), Karl Pielmeier (SFS ’16), Keaton O’Neil (COL ’16), Griffin Greco (COL ’16), Sydney Bolling (COL ’16), Mike Radice (SFS ’18), Marina Smith (COL ’18)