The Neighbors Want You to Put a Shirt On

While the warm spell that we’ve been experiencing lately has brought students out of Lau and into the sunlight, some of our neighbors aren’t too happy about the way students are choosing to enjoy the weather. DCist uncovered a particularly funny nugget on a Georgetown listserv in which one resident described the menace of student sunbathing. Here’s what they had to say:

The joy of these recent beautiful, sunny days have been somewhat mitigated for me by the sight of bare-chested, boxer-shorted GU students sunbathing on their front stoop right out on the sidewalk. To add insult to injury, these men are sprawled out on old beat up lawn chairs. I am not talking about a real porch here, but rather the top stair of the front entrance of their run down student house. The sight is very down-market, low rent, college dorm and affects the property values of our homes in this section of Georgetown, as well as the pleasure of walking our charming streets. These people have a back yard! Let them use it for their sunbathing activities. 

It is bad enough that the neighbors have to put up with the students’ relentless drunken and disorderly conduct, but to host a slew of Dewey Beach antics on our Georgetown streets is too much! They were recently flipping burgers on a barbecue grill out there, too!!

I hope that the off campus life office at GU requires their students to follow the rules of conduct required for living in a community of permanent residents and remind them that they ARE NOT LIVING ON CAMPUS!!!

It’s okay, not being invited to the barbecue would have made me upset too. So what’s the lesson we learn here? Limit  your tanning to Healy Lawn – it’s lowering property values.

Photo: Flicker user pianoman75 via DCist