While We Were Out: Summer News Roundup

while we were out

We know you’ve all been busy backpacking around Europe, interning your behinds off, catching up on credits in summer school, or sleeping until 1pm every day in your hometown so you may not be up to speed on all things Georgetown. There’s been a lot of noteworthy summer news, so 4E is here to catch you up with some of the highlights.

Click on the titles for the full story from The Hoya.

Jeopardy Jim – Jim Coury (SFS ’15) won $100,000 in the College Jeopardy finals.

UIS updated Blackboard – “Four months after conducting a survey of students and faculty, University Information Services updated Blackboard … to help further integrate the online resource in the classroom”.

President DeGioia and Fr. O’Brien meet Pope Francis – “University President John J. DeGioia and Vice President for Mission and Ministry Fr. Kevin O’Brien, S.J., attended Mass with Pope Francis at the chapel of Casa Santa Marta in the Vatican”.

Blatty’s catholic criticism –  “William Peter Blatty (COL ’50), author of the “The Exorcist,” submitted a petition … to the archbishop of Washington, D.C., calling for Georgetown to comply strictly with canon law or be stripped of the right to call itself a Jesuit and Catholic institution”.

The fall of Tuscany – Late-night Georgetown favorite, Tuscany Cafe, is now permanently closed.

Jack Evans entered mayoral race – “Ward 2 Councilman Jack Evans officially declared his candidacy in the April 2014 Washington, D.C. mayoral race”.

Alumnus Rep. John Dingell  John Dingell (D-Mich.) (C ’49, LAW ’52) became the longest-serving member of Congress in its 224-year history.

GU Turkish students participated in protests – Hoyas in D.C. and Turkey alike joined in the protests against the Turkish government.

Law student wins against Fox Searchlight – Eric Glatt (LAW ’15) won his lawsuit against Fox Searchlight Pictures, which argued that the company had violated minimum wage laws by not paying two interns during production of “Black Swan.”

President Obama speaks at Georgetown – President Barack Obama became the 14th president to deliver remarks from the Old North steps with the announcement of his plan to curb climate change.

Northeast Triangle developments – The University, in collaboration with Sasaki, released a preliminary design for the Northeast Triangle Residence Hall across from Reiss Science Building, which officials hope to be completed for fall 2015. The design and location of the dorm were criticized by students and alumni. The Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2E approved the plan, but the Old Georgetown Board postponed deliberations until Sept. 4.

Fall study abroad in Cairo cancelled – “The Office of International Programs cancelled its fall study abroad program at the American University in Cairo in response to a State Department travel advisory”.

Georgetown competes for Walter Reed redevelopment – The university presented a proposal against eight other design teams for redevelopment of Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

GU to cover contraception –  “After revisions to the Affordable Care Act in late June, Georgetown student and faculty health insurance will cover contraception through United Healthcare beginning August 15”.

Parking prohibition –  After a change to the Code of Student Conduct, students will no longer be able to bring cars to campus.

Fake stabbing – A student claimed he had been assaulted outside of The Tombs and stabbed in the left arm and knee, but later admitted that he had been injured after punching a car window.

GUSA launches Tenant Association –  “The Georgetown Student Tenant Association… will train advocates to help students deal with uncooperative or negligent landlords”.

Student loan interest rates – Undergraduates will borrow at a 3.8 percent interest rate starting in the fall, while graduate students will borrow at 5.4 percent.

Mascot troubles – Georgetown’s Office of Communications confirmed that Bulldog Jack Jr., the mascot in training, was leaving and would not become the next mascot. The bulldog had to leave because of behavioral issues. J.J. bit a child last fall and the university settled with the parents of the child. “Objective experts” evaluated J.J. over 15 months and determined that he was not suited to be a mascot, according to University Spokeswoman Stacey Kerr.

“J.J. moved in with a local family with experience raising bulldogs on Sunday after a successful trial run at their home.

Code of Conduct changes – The Disciplinary Review Committee rewrote the Student Code of conduct to be shorter and clearer. It is the first step in implementing recommendations from an external review for the disciplinary review process. GUSA and the Disciplinary Review Committee are going to push for more substantial changes to the code of conduct this fall.

HFSC Pub design was presented – Mason Inn owner Fritz Brogan (COL ’07, LAW ’10) held a forum and consulted students about various details of the pub in Healey Family Student Center.

New restaurants to come in Hoya Court  The opening of Elevation Burger, Salad Creations and a larger Subway in Hoya Court are now scheduled for October.

Alum deported from Bahrain –  “Georgetown graduate Erin Kilbride (COL ’12) was deported from Bahrain … for what the government described as her “radical” writings on Twitter and other websites”.

Photo: Eugene Ang/The Hoya