Casual Thursday: Gotta Get Down on Pie Day

The battle of pie versus cake is long and storied, dating back to ancient times. You’ve probably heard Marie Antoinette’s response to her starving peasants, “Let them eat cake!” But you probably haven’t heard Egyptian Pharaoh Tutankhamun’s exasperated declaration “Is everybody crazy? Pie is clearly the better choice!”

Personally, I’m inclined to agree with good old King Tut. I’ve been championing the pie cause my whole life, and avoiding cake wherever I can (excluding Carvel ice cream cakes). The world is finally coming around to my point of view, and pies are slowly making their way to the top of the trendy desserts hierarchy. D.C. has some great pie shops, including Dangerously Delicious Pies and Georgetown’s very own Pie Sisters, but that’s not what I’m here to talk to you about today. I’m here to talk to you about a cocktail that includes all that’s good in the world, and it’s called ‘Liquid Pie.’

Brought to you by Beer Mixology (via KQED’s Bay Area Bites), Liquid Pie combines the best of alcohol and summer berries to make a drink that screams summer. And it doesn’t even seem all that hard to put together—would be great with fresh berries from the farmer’s market.

4-6 fresh blueberries

2 fresh blackberries

1/2 ounce of fresh lemon juice

1 ounce bourbon

1/2 ounce agave nectar

Trumer Pils for topping (Ed. note: or any Pilsner beer, really)

Ice

1. Add the berries and the lemon juice to a pint glass.

2. Muddle all of the ingredients.

3. Add the bourbon, agave nectar and ice.

4. Shake well and strain into a champagne flute.

5. Top with Pilsner.

If you’d rather not drink your pie through a straw, you could always try your hand at baking one. Tarts by Tarts makes pies for delivery, but they also include recipes for all of their delicious-looking creations. The lemon icebox pie looks mouthwatering and pretty easy to make (because really, who knows how to make a real pie crust?). If lemon’s not your thing, pie blog Nothing-in-the-House (where the recipe came from) has lots of other icebox pies including blueberry, strawberry, and Nutella (!!!!). Consider making one of these to give to a neighbor—we can’t guarantee that it’ll stop them from calling the cops on you, but it can’t hurt.

Stay casual, Hoyas.

Photos: KQED Bay Area Bites (liquid pie), nothinginthehouse.com (lemon icebox pie)