How to Rock an Awkward Moment

200_sWe can all admit we’ve done something awkward on campus. Maybe we’ve pushed on a pull door, tripped on uneven sidewalk on Prospect and did the awkward “recovery stumble” or another embarrassing scenario. At 4E we’re here to help you out in these potentially cringeworthy moments, so have no fear because here’s how to play it off and be cool.

1. Late to Class

Scenario: You arrive at 5:03 p.m. for your 5 p.m. in ICC, and there aren’t any desks left to sit in. You stand awkwardly in the doorway of the room and the whole class stares at you.

4 Steps to “play it off cool”:

1. Laugh it off. Address the class and say “Sorry everyone, haha.”
  2. Ask the professor if there is another desk (he or she will find you one).
  3. Sit in your seat, take out your notebook/ pen and take notes.
  4. Say at least one comment out loud. It shows you’re engaged — trust us.

2. Music in Lau

Scenario: You are on Lau 3 (quiet room) and your phone plays music aloud. One person coughs disapprovingly, and another gives you the side eye.

3 Steps to handle it:

1. Turn off Fetty Wap as soon as possible.
  2. Look around the room as if it wasn’t you responsible for that noise.
  3. Continue studying and maybe let out a disapproving cough to be like “Yeah whoever is listening to Fetty right now is just a bad person, jeez.”

3. Trippin’ in Leo’s

Scenario: You trip in Leo’s. Not on shrooms, but on your own feet and a hot person happens to sees it.

37b1b63542dc4e1e_lawrence_trip_2.xxxlarge

3 Steps to coolness:

1. Laugh it off for 2 seconds. Not too long or you will look like an insane person.
  2. If you spilled something, pick it up. If it’s a big thing that you can’t pick up yourself then tell a person at Leo’s and use “please,” “sorry” and “thank you” because it really is nice of them to pick it up for you.
  3. Walk back to your table confidently and eat your food like the rockstar you are.

4. Being “too wild” on a Friday night 

Scenario: You had too much Burnett’s fun and made a fool of yourself. You texted your crush “OMG why did I text my crush 15 times in a row just in emojis? What’s up with me?!” 

tumblr_mbzmjdt07L1rxd8rh

4 ways to handle it:

1. Thank your friends for getting you home with a quick text.
  2. If you think about texting your crush, don’t. The emojis did enough and if he or she likes you then they will text you back (which will probably be the case because usually people have a sense of humor about these things). If they don’t text you then no worries because you’ll find someone just as great or even better.
  3. Realize that the regret you’re feeling is probably from the hangover. Chug water and watch Netflix… and Facebook stalk a random person’s album from 2010 because, for reasons that scientists cannot understand, it is a really fun hangover activity.
  4. Enjoy your Saturday and next time, pace yourself.

Photo: giphy.com; popsugar.com; tumblr.com