Riding the Yak: A Beginner’s Guide

yikyak

The anonymous social media app Yik Yak has been generating buzz for quite a while, for both good and bad reasons. Of course there will always be those who abuse the privilege of anonymity, but I feel like the Georgetown/GW Yik Yak community generally censors out offensive posts, and I really enjoy the app. Hopefully, these (semi)pro-tips can help new and older Yakkers alike get the most out of the Yik Yak experience.

Tip 1: Upvote Your Own Yaks 

Yaks are rated on a system of “up” or “down” votes. The more ups, the higher your score; however, if you get a score of -5, the Yak disappears. In general, I recommend liking your own Yak to get the ball rolling and encourage other members of the flock to join in.

Tip 2: Watch Out For Spoilers

Is there a new show like, oh I don’t know, House of Cards out that you haven’t watched yet? I can guarantee someone on Yik Yak would be more than happy to spoil it for you. Proceed with caution.

Tip 3: Know Your Audience

This is tough to gauge, but sometimes you have to pander to the crowd if you want up-votes. You might think you’re funny, but that doesn’t mean Yik Yak will.

Tip 4: Have Thick Skin

While no one should ever be genuinely offended or targeted by Yik Yak, you will surely end up doubting your sense of humor at some point. You can’t win ’em all.

Tip 5: Don’t Re-Yak

Unlike on Twitter, “re-yakking” or reposting other peoples’ Yaks is frowned upon. You may think you’re being sneaky, but someone will notice and instantly call you out. It’s not worth it.

Tip 6: Take Advice With A Grain Of Salt

Yik Yak has slowly evolved into a new form of Yahoo Answers, which is certainly entertaining, and sometimes helpful. The advice on Yik Yak is probably about as reliable as Yahoo Answers, too, so maybe think twice before trusting it.

Tip 7: Proceed With Caution

This is more of just a warning, but Yik Yak is an anonymous place for college kids to post, and thus can get incredibly inappropriate. Generally it is hysterical, but some discussions of the human anatomy and bodily functions could catch one by surprise.

Hang on tight and enjoy the ride. Yik Yak can be fun, but isn’t for the faint of heart.

Photos/Gifs: Imgarcade; FallonTonightGifs