The Five Weirdest Documentaries You Have To See To Believe

people-watching-tvIt’s that time of the year again. As the weather slowly but surely gets colder, all we really want to do is stay in on the weekends and binge watch our favorite shows on Netflix. While the traditionally popular series are always a safe bet, try a documentary out. Not documentaries about something cool, but really weird documentaries. There are a lot of them.

i love tv so much

We at 4E have done all the dirty work and have uncovered five unforgettable, award-winning and bizarre documentaries. Grab some popcorn and enjoy!

1. The Act of Killing (Watch on HBO): Two of Indonesia’s most prolific gangsters masterminded an extermination of around a million suspected communists during a military coup in the 1960s. This documentary seeks to recap their reign of terror and is directed in part by the gangsters themselves. What makes this a must-see (and really strange) is the fact that it is mostly reenactments of murders by the killers themselves, giving the viewer a first-hand view. This brings a whole new meaning to the saying “Nobody was harmed in the making of this film.”
  2. The Imposter (Watch on Netflix): When a 13 year old boy disappears from Texas, he suddenly reappears in southern Spain three and a half years later. Something is fishy here. In fact, it’s really a 23 year old French man, who is then able to fool the real boy’s family (and international authorities) for almost five months and assume the identity of a 16 year old American. The Imposter presents a terribly eerie story with many unexpected turns.kristen wiig mustache surprised
  3.  The Final Member (Watch on Netflix): Thanks to the isolation of their country and culture, Icelanders are often misunderstood. So, too, is Siggi Hjartarson, the founder and curator of the Icelandic Phallological Museum (Read: a private collection of private parts). Only one thing is missing from Siggi’s collection: a human specimen. Watch The Final Member to find out if Siggi can secure a human donation and to learn more about his strange passion for all things phallus.
  4. Tales from the Organ Trade (Watch on HBO): A slightly different take on organ collection, this one is actually really enlightening. But don’t fret: it’s still very strange and creepy. Tales from the Organ Trade tracks the black market trade of human organs, from donors in peripheral countries to organ brokers who buy their organs to the people willing to pay insane amounts of money for a new kidney. It provides an in-depth look at a hidden trade that spans the entire globe. Definitely a must-see!
  5. The Source Family (Watch on Netflix): A seemingly normal married restaurateur turns into the leader of a psychedelic jam band polygamist cult. The Source Family details the life of cult leader Father Yod and his merry band of fourteen wives living in a Hollywood mansion. Watch to find out how the cult grew to around 150 people at its peak and discover the cause of its eventual demise.

Photos/Gifs: giphy.com, photobucket.com, optimism.com