Website Connects Students With Internships

Campus Job, an online marketplace based in Philadelphia that connects students to employers, is in the midst of expanding to Georgetown and beyond.

Two students at the University of Pennsylvania, Liz Wessel and J.J. Fliegelman, founded the marketplace in 2011, with a $1,000 in prize winnings from a business competition. Recently, Campus Job launched a comprehensive website to help expand their network.

Wessel said that since the website’s official launch, thousands of students have already found jobs. With its early success, the main focus is now to expand both the student and employer network to universities around the country.

“Growth is our main goal. We want to get as many students using the website as possible because if you think about it, pretty much every student in the U.S. wants a part-time job during school or a summer internship or even a full-time job after they graduate,” Wessel said. “So we should be able to get every student in the country using Campus Job.”

She added that providing students with a broader range of job listings is another priority of the website expansion, in addition to marketing toward college students.

“We want to see as much diversity as possible for jobs as well as students. We want you to be able to find a job whether you are a finance student or an art history major,” Wessel said. “In the past five minutes I saw 3 three different jobs were posted. One was at a bakery as a baker’s assistant, one was at an investment bank in Florida as a summer intern, and another was as a barista at Starbucks.”

Georgetown University Campus Job marketing representative Ale Ruttimann (COL ’18) came across the website through Facebook and became a marketing representative this January, noting Campus Job is looking to expand brand recognition on Georgetown’s campus.

“We are still at the ground level. We might like to table at a jobs fair or partner with a major event like Kickback to sponsor or promote internships in junction with the school,” she said.

The website is free for both students and employers, who both create profiles for the site’s database. Employer profiles can invite students to apply or tailor views to certain students based on qualifications.

Georgetown University Campus Job marketing representative Felix van der Vaart (SFS ’16) said that the organization is targeting a niche market that employers previously had a difficult time connecting with.

“As a student, we have a certain degree of access you don’t have after you leave this campus — I’m walking around people who are 19 to 22 years old every day, 500 of them,” van der Vaart said. “And because I’m their age, I’m able to reach them in a way other people won’t be able to. … [Campus Job] realize[s] a 60-year-old won’t be able to reach you the same way a fellow 20-year-old can.”

Leigh Gilliand (COL ’17) discovered Campus Job through a friend at Stanford University and commented on how the website trumps some services already provided by Georgetown.

“It has an easier interface compared to the Career Center, which can be all over the place and hard to deal with. This is really simple and is a different type of employers that are posting — they are tech, apps, less traditional jobs, which is really cool,” Gilliand said.