America’s Next Top… Potty?

On Monday, I came across a massive piece of news regarding the upcoming election. No, not the upcoming November presidential election, something far more important. I learned that in the monumental election of America’s Best Bathroom, Georgetown’s very own Mie N Yu is a contender for the top spot.

This is serious, people. And as a professional, groundbreaking journalist, I did what any professional, groundbreaking journalist would do when he heard about this scoop: I experienced the Mie N Yu bathrooms for myself.

And let me say this: the Mie N Yu bathrooms are the greatest gift to planet Earth since Oprah.

Mie N Yu, as a restaurant, is a delightfully tacky and modern, Silk Road-inspired Asian hot mess. Lining the walls are flowing linens, Buddhas, and trendy seashell paper lanterns. Mahjong tiles cover the bar, and in the background, one can hear the cool sounds of Oriental lounge music (think Club Lau meets Panda Express).

The food isn’t bad either – if you’re looking for a good deal on M Street, try Mie N Yu’s $5 Happy Hour Bar Menu, served Monday-Friday from 5-7 (the Angry Spice Truffle Fries are delicious).

But the gems of Mie N Yu — the reasons why I will return — are their glorious bathrooms. From the moment I walked downstairs and stepped into the lavatories, I realized I was no longer in a strange, Epcot-meets-Asia restaurant. I was in a soothing Asian cove — No, I was in heaven.

The bathrooms are unisex and communal with intricately woven in patterns on the walls and dark, aged wood surrounding the doors. Green tiles border the toilets. Large metal trunks sit on the floor, adjacent to wooden water barrels and rusted copper sinks filled with massive, black pebbles. The atmosphere is breathtaking! I suddenly felt an overwhelming sense of calm, followed by an intense urge to take a mirror shot. This was one place I’d never want to forget.

Voting for America’s Best Restroom continues here until October 26. I highly encourage everyone to vote for Mie N Yu, especially since it faces some stiff competition from some big names, including New York’s Da Marino and Arizona’s Liberty Market. Only time will tell to see if Mie N Yu’s loo will earn the prestigious title of America’s Best Bathroom, but in the meantime, take a pit stop on M Street and enjoy these bathrooms for yourselves.

In my opinion, Mie N Yu takes the cake for America’s Best Bathroom. Or the fortune cookie. Either one.

Photo credit: Lindsay Horikoshi