Best Bets: Dim Sum for All

by Beth Garbitelli

FRIDAY

Take a break from the standard Top 40 jams played at most Georgetown establishments and mix it up at An Evening of Mashups at the Black Cat (1811 14th Street, NW). They promise remixes and  Girl Talk-esque tracks. Tickets are a measly  5 bucks which is about the same as cover for Modern or Thirds. Tickets will be sold at the door.

SATURDAY

Check out a midnight screening of It Happened One Night at the E Street Cinema (555 11th Street, NW). Directed by Frank Capra (who also made It’s A Wonderful Life) this classic screwball comedy has won over hearts for years and betchya it’s more charming and innovative than a certain black and white film that’s been getting a ton of Oscar attention this season. Watch a snippet here.

SUNDAY

Gather up your pals and head over to Chinatown (6th and I Streets, NW) to celebrate, albeit belatedly, the Chinese New Year. Start by getting some dim sum here  or here or here and then stick around for the Parade ( at 2:00 p.m.) that will be complete with dragon floats, traditional music and dancing. It’s the Year of the Dragon, folks. Not sure what the astrological significance of that is but hey, it sounds pretty cool, right? I think it means take any excuse to eat dim sum.