Name This Tiny Monkey!

Here at 4E we’re pretty partial to baby animals, which is why we appreciate the National Zoo so much. They had a new black howler monkey born on March 22, and now he needs a name. They’re leaving that decision up to us, and are holding a vote to determine what this adorable little primate will be called. Sadly, you can’t suggest your own names, but here are the options:

Sumaq: This name in the Quechua language means “beautiful.” The baby’s golden locks and chocolate brown eyes prompted the keepers to suggest a name befitting a handsome boy.

Orejas: The baby may blend in perfectly with 5-year-old mother Chula’s fur, but one feature (or two) makes him stick out: his large ears. For this reason, keepers chose the name Orejas, a Spanish word meaning “ears.”

Nando: Short for Fernando, “Nando” is a popular name meaning “courageous.” At first, the baby was shy and clung tightly to his mother. In the last few weeks, however, he has grown increasingly independent and active, swinging by his tail and walking from branch to branch. Keepers expect he will become more daring over the next few months.

Loki: “Loki” is the Norse mythological god of mischief. Inquisitive from a young age, the baby howler explores his environment by touching and tasting everything around him. He has even tried to steal mom’s food.

You can vote on a name over at the National Zoo’s Facebook page, the voting period will end on Friday (just in time for this little guy’s three month birthday).

Now if we could just find a pig, we could recreate one of the internet’s favorite moments.

Photo: Mike Crosby/National Zoo