The Updated Guide to an Embassy Row Halloween

Embassy Row Halloween

For those of you living under a rock, Halloween is upon us — this Friday, to be exact. As we reported two years ago, a bunch of the embassies on Massachusetts Avenue and 20th Street (aka Embassy Row) will be opening their doors for trick-or-treaters!

So which embassies will be accessible to costumed college students? And perhaps just as importantly, what kind of candy will they be giving out? From personal experience, we can attest that the goods are what you’d expect from any American candy-giving house during Halloween. But what if the embassies gave out traditional treats from their home countries? Here’s what we could expect from the embassies open for trick-or-treating this year:

Bulgaria: Amphora (or fancy jar)-shaped pralines with nuts and sugary syrup

Dominican Republic: Peanut or sesame crackle or dolce de mani o ajonjoli for all the Spanish speakers out there

Greece: Finikia, a type of cookie topped with walnuts and cinnamon

South Korea: Hangwa is the term for any kind of candy, although a more specific kind would be yakgwa, a flower-shaped biscuit made with honey

Marshall Islands: Coconut candy

Niger: Mango or plantains, which would be a fantastic palate cleanser

Papua New Guinea: The home of sugar cane, a typical dessert could be dia (starch and bananas cooked with coconut cream)

Slovenia: Krofne, or airy donuts that can be filled with jam or Nutella (drool)

United Kingdom: Literally Honeyduke’s Cadbury’s anythingfrom regular milk chocolate bars to these

Uzbekistan: Khalva, little squares of syrupy walnut dessert

This annual event is hosted by the SFS Academic Council, and they’ll be giving out maps of Embassy Row beforehand so that you don’t go barging into any random embassy (sorry, the Philippines circa 2012!). Embassy Row is accessible via either the Dupont Circle GUTS bus or the Metro bus lines G2, D6 or D2. This year, trick-or-treating will be taking place from 1:30 to 4:00 p.m. on Friday (Oct. 30). We recommend that you don’t delay, because the embassies might — gasp — run out of candy. And you don’t want that.

Check out the Facebook event and RSVP!

Photo: davidrehunt.com