The White House is in Boiling Water With PETA

LobsterFor many Americans, the White House stands as a beacon of hope and democracy – a symbol of American peace and prosperity. But to the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), the White House is a place of torture. More specifically: lobster slaughter.

According to DCist, PETA has asked White House executive chef Cristeta Comerford to use a device that would stun and kill lobsters, crabs and other shellfish, instead of killing them in the conventional method – by placing the live lobsters directly in boiling water. The device, aptly (and quite whimsically) named the “Crustastun”, zaps crustaceans and kills them instantly, unlike the boiling water method which, according to PETA, can take up to three grueling minutes to kill lobsters (talk about a slow and painful death!)

Lobster has recently been featured on the White House menu: It was served at this year’s inaugural luncheon and also at the 2011 State Dinner.

We can’t say we at 4E are too surprised at PETA’s request. Though if Comerford and White House chefs take the group seriously and start zapping shellfish, we – much like the lobsters – will be stunned.

Oh, and just for good measure: Court dismissed. Bring in the dancin’ lobstahs!

Photo: Mobile-Cuisine