Friday Fixat10ns: An Indie Christmas

Well, it looks like finals are all over and all of us brain-dead Hoyas are relaxin’ at home for a little TLC.  As you shove your mouth full of Christmas cookies and lay around in your flannel PJs, listen to this little list of chill indie tunes. It will put you in a holidaze.

1. Holiday Vampire Weekend

Even though this group of lyrical geniuses will be singing “Dreidel, Dreidel” instead of “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree”, we still need them in our Christmas album.  All I want for Christmas is to be serenaded by Ezra Koenig.

2. Wonderful Christmastime The Shins

Usually when I listen to the Shins, I just try to simply wrap my head around the meaning of their songs, but this poppy Christmas tune is anything but complicated.  We are just simply having a wonderful Christmastime.

3. Santa Stole My Lady Fitz and the Tantrums

I guess Santa’s on the naughty list this year according to Mr. Fitz.  Keep tabs on your lady because you may find that fat jolly old man charming the socks off of her.  Hide your mistletoe, guys.

4. Sleigh Ride She & Him

Zooey Deschanel is doing more than just singing to Will Ferrell in “Elf.” She and M. Ward have created a whole album just for the holidays.  This duo just makes you want to sip some overly priced coffee at a hip coffee shop and ponder life.

5. Jingle Bell Rock Rogue Wave

“Jingle Bell Rock,” such a classic.  A little different from the “Jingle Bell Rock” played in your fave film Mean Girls, this version creates a laid back vibe.

6. Auld Lang Syne Andrew Bird

If you’re looking for an indie/folk twist on this traditional Scottish song that you have probably never heard of, then this is perfect for you.  This song is all about change and starting the new year off right and for most of us, this is very relevant.

7. Christmas Party Dr. Dog

Put your ugly Christmas sweater on and get ready for a groovy Christmas party.  This song takes you back to an era only our grandparents know.  I feel like I should hear this playing in the background of a “Mad Men” Christmas episode.

8. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) Death Cab for Cutie

Oh Death Cab for Cutie you bring me back to the late 90s, when I was only a wee child. This version of “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)” is spot on.  I’m sure your baby will come home after they hear your sultry voice.

9. Blue Christmas Bright Eyes

Please do not be blue this holiday, but please do listen to this calming song about a sad lad who is missing his S/O during the holiday.  It’s not really a poppy indie tune about holiday cheer, but it’ll give ya the feels.

10. The Christmas Song The Raveonettes

This ’60s style song is about not wanting Christmas to end and I think all of us can relate to that.  This song has such a chill vibe that it just makes you want to cruise down the PCH under the California sun.

Photos: 8tracks.com and theblueindian.com