Friday Fixat10ns: It Is Still February?

Trees Without Leaves from ecgarbi on 8tracks.

Is it just me or does February seem to be dragging on a bit long this year? Check out these chill tunes to get you through the last kick of winter.

Beth/Rest – Bon Iver Basically any of Bon Iver’s tunes would fit in this playlist. I just picked this one because my name’s in it. I have a hunch that he spends long amounts of time writing about ex-girlfriends in a log cabin somewhere as part of his creative process.

Oh Annie – The Morning Benders These guys are inextricably end-of-winter/springish. That association might be due to the timing of their last album’s release — which happened to be around this time of year. This one has a lull to it, though, that reminds me of that feeling of laying in bed after waking up from an only mildly satisfying nap.

Don’t Let the Sun Catch You Crying – Ray Charles  The sun is out today and despite cold mornings, spring is sort of on its way. So don’t let the sun catch you crying when it gets warm eventually. Ray Charles fits any season.

Surgeon – St. Vincent The frantic push at the end of the song perfectly encapsulates wanting winter (or anything) to end.

Wait – M83  Um, this is the perfect nap song.

Wishful Thinking – Wilco One of my favorite tunes from Wilco, partially because of the wistful quality to the build-up in the beginning and the poignant lyrics.  Feels like a cozy sweater.

I Remember – Araabmuzik Frosty, techno-y remix of a Kaskade song. Very February.

Polish Girl – Neon Indian A tad more upbeat than the rest but the repetition of the lyric “You fail to remember” captures that sense of impatience that the other songs also embody.