President West Is in the Building

1406292260If you watched the VMA’s Sunday night, then you would know that a certain Kanye West announced his candidacy for president. Not for this cycle, of course, because that would be too mainstream. No, Kanye has taken the admirable track of announcing his presidential candidacy in 2020. You can never be too ahead of the game!

This blogger decided to spend her afternoon contemplating what a Yeezy 2020 presidential run would look like. Final conclusion: It will be awesome. Why, you ask?

1. All his campaign songs are Kanye songs.

In recent years, there have been controversies in which artists denounce the candidates playing their songs at political rallies (for example, Tom Petty sending Michele Bachmann a cease-and-desist; Tom Scholz of Boston asking Mike Huckabee to stop using “More Than a Feeling” a t his events; etc.). Kanye would definitely not have this problem. Expect to hear “Touch the Sky” for that inspirational flair, “Homecoming” at the inevitable Chicago campaign rally and probably “I Am a God” at some point. Kanye is not subtle.

1. Unreal debates.

It’s hard to speculate who Kanye will be competing with in 2020, but just imagine what he would be like in this cycle’s debates. “Imma let you finish Bernie, but New Hampshire is the best state in New England of all time!” “Donald Trump says he’s rich, but having money isn’t everything [but having it is].”

1. Excellent (?) public speaker.

Kanye has had more than a little experience speaking to a wide audience, with mixed results. There was the classic Taylor Swift debacle of 2009 (6 years ago? How old do you feel right now?), his supremely awkward Today Show interview with Matt Lauer and, my personal favorite, “You ain’t got the answers Sway!” Look out for campaign speeches that mix non-sequiturs with Kanye’s dreams for America, and plenty of gif-able moments from news interviews.

1. A breath of fresh air – sartorially-speaking.

Do you ever get bored of seeing the presidential candidates wearing their navy or black suits/pantsuits? Good news! There is a 99% chance that Kanye will show up to at least one campaign event in his crystal face mask.

Trendy!
  1. An amazing running mate.

If he defies all logic and earns his party’s nomination, we’re in for a treat. Imagine a ‘Ye-Jay ticket (“Watch the Throne” is a political party, right?). Or ‘Ye-Bey. It’s too bad that Paul McCartney isn’t a US citizen because after the success of their recent musical collaborations. Who’s to say Kanye and Paul can’t make a great political team, too?

Political poster waiting to happen.

#Yeezy2020

Images/Gifs: theodysseyonline.com, Tumblr, telegraph.co.uk, vevo.com