Soundtrack to Your Freshman Year

Healy_Hall_at_Georgetown_UniversityFreshman year is easily one of the most exciting times of your life.  You’re away from home, completely for the most part independent from your parents and left to fend for yourself.  You have a lot of new freedom, which also means a lot of added responsibility, but at this point you’re ready to take on anything.  While you’ll certainly experience a lot of highs and lows throughout the year, you’ll look back it with fondness and wish you could repeat it a thousand times over.

In order to chart the progression of your freshman year, 4E has decided to set your experiences to music.  For those of you just finishing your first year on the Hilltop to our seniors getting ready to take on the real world, everyone can relate to the craziness that ensues over the year.  For any members of the Class of 2019 reading this: take note.  You’ll be in D.C. before you know it, and you’ll want to know how to better expect the unexpected.

4E presents: Soundtrack to Your Freshman Year

1. Eighteen Cool (Hoodie Allen)You’re about to start your freshman year of college, and at this point high school is just a distant memory.  So long to questionable school lunches and classes that start at 7:30 AM.  You’re a college kid now!

2. Anything Could Happen (Ellie Goulding): You just moved into your dorm room (shout out to Harbin 4) and finally met your roommate after messaging all summer about mini fridges and comforter sets.  You can already tell that you’ll be best friends, and you couldn’t be any more excited about what the year has in store!

3. Young Blood (The Naked & Famous): The upperclassmen start to arrive on campus and you begin to realize that you’re on the bottom of the totem pole.  It’s ok though, being the youngest just gives you an excuse to make a ton of mistakes anyway.

4. All Night Longer (Sammy Adams)Your parents are gone and you’re all on your own making the rules as you go.  This college thing is pretty cool, no one is telling you to clean your room anymore and you could really get used to this.  Furthermore, you no longer have a bedtime or curfew.  Want to stay out until 5AM?  No one’s stopping you!

5. I Love College (Asher Roth): You’ve finally started figuring out the freshmen social scene at Georgetown.  You know where Brown House is and how to get to Pink House.  College is the absolute best and you can’t wait to tell all your friends about your super wild nights when you see them over break.

6. Opposite of Adults (Chiddy Bang): Things start to get stressful when you realize that you’re expected to juggle homework, extracurriculars and figure out how to do your own laundry.  College is fun, but sometimes you really just need your parents.  You’re definitely not ready to be an adult yet.

7. Home (Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros): It’s your first finals season and there’s no place you’d rather be than at home with your family.  The count down to winter break begins, and time seems to pass at a ridiculously slow pace.

8. What’s My Age Again (Blink 182): You come back to school in January and decide to expand your horizons on the social scene.  Suddenly remembering your birthday becomes difficult.  We’re you born in 1992 or 1993?

9. Take Me Home Tonight (Eddie Money): With the expansion of your social scene comes the possibility of meeting new people.  You might even make such friends on a dance floor and decide to leave with them!

10. Drunk in Love (Beyonce): While you may think it’s love at first sight between you and your friend from the dance floor, it definitely won’t be in the morning.  Just because you both like pizza and are in the College does not mean it’s a match made in heaven.

11. Tipsy in the Sun (White Panda): The winter weather finally ends and it’s springtime.  The nicer weather brings out a strong affinity for pastels, Village A rooftops and a general disregard for school work.

12. Doses & Mimosas (Cherub): Congratulations, you’ve made it to your first Georgetown Day!  You’ve heard so much about this holiday from older Hoyas and you couldn’t be more excited to make memories you’ll never remember with people you’ll never forget.

13. And We Danced (Macklemore): It’s been one amazing year, but as finals wind down it’s time to pack up and head home for the summer.  You’ve danced, cried, laughed and made some of your best friends for life.  The separation from the Hilltop is only temporary though, you’ll be back in a few months and you honestly can’t wait!

Enjoy your summer, Hoyas!  We’ll see you back on the Hilltop in the fall for even more debauchery and good times.

Photos/Gifs: tumblr.com, rantlifestyle.com, giphy.com, imgur.com,