New Releases // 2.11.2011

“How to Be a Werewolf”

Mogwai

Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will

Ambient soundscapes abound in the space-rockers’ seventh album. Guitars weave in and out in “How to Be a Werewolf,” jutting through the ambient keyboard in eloquent strokes. Slowly picking up speed, steadily turning louder and louder, the melodies surge through. No words needed on this song — it’s awesome enough as it is.

“The Wilhelm Scream”

James Blake

James Blake

Hauntingly empty at first, with eerily quiet keyboards and echoing sounds in the background, James Blake’s reverberating voice carries striking emotion. As the background noise fuzzes and roils, Blake piercingly croons “I don’t know about my lovin’ anymore / All I know is I’m fallin’,” as he plunges into the hollowness of his true love and dreams.

“The Words I Never Said” feat. Skylar Grey

Lupe Fiasco

Lasers

Lupe gets political on his new single from his upcoming album. And he holds nothing back on this one. He attacks everyone and everything, from the war on terror, budget cuts, and Rush Limbaugh, to Obama and banks. Over heavy synthesizers and Skylar Grey’s wailing voice, Lupe brings hip-hop back to its roots — a politically charged, relevant and intelligent display of lyrical skill.