In a Word: Midterms

In a Word: Midterms

in a word

At Georgetown, there is truly no midterm “season”.  Midterms seem to stretch from the first week of October until almost Thanksgiving, which can be bewildering and frustrating.  I figured now is as good of a time as any, right in the heart of mid-term season, to find out what Georgetown students really think about mid-terms.

I asked, and you delivered.  In the form of one word responses, here are Hoyas’ true feelings about Georgetown’s midterm season.

The Overwhelmed

The most common word sent in by everyone was “stressful” (or, in two cases, “stress”).  Next most popular? “Death”.  These are the “I have two midterms in all five classes between October and November” people … or anyone in Orgo.  Sorry guys.

The Challenged

Not surprisingly, “hard” came up a lot.  That was the first word that came to my mind.  Midterms are, plain and simple, challenging. Of course, the point of going to a high-level university is to be challenged, but that doesn’t mean we can’t get a little upset over the extra struggle.

The Un-phased

I like to pretend to be this person, but generally anyone who claims to be un-phased by midterms is lying.  Or a jerk.  I’m actually really happy for the people that were able to answer “fine,” “fun,” “overrated” and even “enlightening”.  Just slightly bitter.

The Miserable

These are the people who spend more hours in a week on Lau 5 than they do in their bed.  Generally, it is more of a “short burst” of work for these students, but the description “hell” was one of our top submissions, and “struggle” and “strugglebus” both made it up quite a few times.

The Tired

I mean, this is basically everyone at this point.  You get through three midterms in one week, and celebrate.  Then you check your upcoming assignments and proceed to a) cry, b) curl up into a ball, c) yell, or d) do all of the above.  “Tiring”, “Never-ending”, “endless”, “perpetual” and “tolling” all were submitted multiple times.  I mean, they will end eventually.  It might just be 20 degrees colder by the time they do.

Hang in there Hoyas; you can do it! It does get better! Now, if you excuse me, I have some studying to go do.