Administration Seeks to Fill Vacant CSP Position

The Center for Student Programs will soon interview three candidates for assistant director of student programs, a position that has been vacant since August.

Former Associate Director Bill McCoy left the university last summer to become director of LGBT awareness at Bucknell University.

“A successful candidate for this job will demonstrate an understanding of the priorities and complexities of supporting a highly engaged student population in creating a vibrant co-curricular experience in a Catholic and Jesuit higher educational context,” Erika Cohen-Derr, director of student programs, wrote in an email.

The Center for Student Programs will conduct the interviews in the next few weeks, with the goal of choosing a new assistant director in time for the spring semester. The new hire will also serve as adviser to the Student Activities Commission, as McCoy did during his tenure.

In accordance with standard CSP protocol, students are invited to contribute to the process as part of a search committee. According to Cohen-Derr, interested students will have the opportunity to meet with candidates in both formal and informal settings.

According to SAC Chairman-elect Jack Appelbaum (COL ’14), dates for two interviews are currently finalized, while the last is still tentative.

Appelbaum hopes that the new assistant director will aid in SAC’s transition to the new comprehensive budget funding system this winter.

“We’re looking for someone that’s open to hearing student opinions, open to working with students collaboratively and finding a way to solve issues that is compatible with student wants and university policy,” he said.