On Littering of Dahlgren: An Apology From the Women’s Club Volleyball Team

To the editor:

I am writing this letter on behalf of a student group that would like to both make an apology and provide an explanation for what transpired last night in Dahlgren Quadrangle. The first and most important fact to clarify is that what happened was not in any way, shape or form an act of malicious vandalism nor an act that was politically or religiously motivated. We have an enormous respect for our Jesuit identity and the diversity of opinions and faiths on our campus. Our student group was participating in a time-honored tradition that many student groups on campus share: a scavenger hunt that incorporates a variety of tasks at a series of campus landmarks, the fountain in Dahlgren Quadrangle being one of them.

Due to the confluence of unfortunate events — including our proximity to the chapel, the recent attention Georgetown has drawn through Sandra Fluke and the contraception debate and a significant lack of foresight and planning on our part — what has now occurred is that the remnants of what was an innocent activity, albeit immature and short-sighted, has been wrongfully misinterpreted as an act of intentional vandalism and disrespect. The event was conducted in the spirit of celebration of our seniors’ contribution to our organization over the past four years.

As soon as it emerged that the remains from our scavenger hunt had had such unintended ramifications, my fellow teammates and I worked hard to immediately rectify the situation by reaching out to DPS and the administration. As a senior and representative of my team, I gave a heartfelt apology to Fr. Kevin O’Brien, and we would like to extend that same apology to the DPS officer and to the student volunteers who were so kind as to clean up after us. Likewise, we apologize for any negative association our actions may have brought to the Center for Student Programs. We cannot convey how truly sorry we are that our actions have disappointed and offended members of our community, a Georgetown community that we are so proud to be a part of. We hope that this letter has been a meaningful step in rectifying the damage that may have been caused.

Sincerely,

The Upperclassmen of the GU Women’s Club Volleyball Team