RSVP To Reflection

Last week, a group of students launched a dinner party too cool for your parents. Dinner With 7 Strangers aims to provide a forum in which seven randomly selected members of the Georgetown community can share a meal and conversation.

Combining things students love — free food and meeting new people — and presented within an attractive online platform, Dinner With 7 Strangers is an intriguing concept, made more so by the program’s anonymous coordinators. It serves as a chance to step away from the usual clubs in which we can name every member’s school and year and friend groups where we know each other’s stories by heart, and willingly place ourselves in a room full of strangers — something many of us likely have not done since New Student Orientation.

Yet the new program speaks to something much larger, a pushback against the exclusivity and applications that so often dominate our experiences on campus. Perhaps the DW7S website says it best: “We understand that Georgetown and its organizations can’t accept every person that applies. But truth be told, we believe any Hoya should have a standing invitation to dinner.”

With DW7S, students choose to take time out of their day to be with one another; it is the recognition that no matter where one is in their Georgetown career, there is always someone new to meet and conversation to be had. Because the supper club is not affiliated with any on-campus programming, the conversation can go in any direction and develop organically according to the interests of each respective dinner party.

While the idea of dining with seven strangers may seem daunting, we urge students to take advantage of this opportunity and look forward to seeing how it develops in the months and years to come.