Vote for Legalization in DC

Megan Schmidt
MEGAN SCHMIDT/THE HOYA

Georgetown’s age-old pledge to promote social justice around the world is a basic tenet of our mission as a university. This election cycle, many Georgetown students, as well as all voters in the District of Columbia, have been given the opportunity to implement a policy that would fulfill that pledge: Ballot Initiative 71.

Initiative 71, which is on the ballot next Tuesday in the District, would legalize possession, home cultivation and consumption of small amounts of marijuana, as well as possession and sale of marijuana paraphernalia in Washington, D.C.

While the measure does not go as far as those in Washington state and Colorado — states that have legalized recreational use of marijuana for those over the age of 21 — it is the next logical step in what has been a sequence of reforms that has worked to bend the arc of the District’s legal system more toward justice.

According to an American Civil Liberties Union study released in June 2013, arrests for marijuana possession — not just in the District, but nationwide — disproportionally affect minority communities, despite the fact that data show there is no difference between rates of marijuana usage across races. Based on this significant and (for those who are caught) life-altering divide, this editorial board supported the initial decriminalization and is now endorsing Initiative 71.

This July, marijuana decriminalization took effect in D.C., leaving only civil misdemeanor penalties for those caught with less than one ounce of the substance. In addition, D.C. Metropolitan Police officers are no longer able to take action based on the smell of marijuana alone and they cannot demand identification from those in possession of less than one ounce of the drug.

Taking the step to legalize both possession and cultivation of marijuana in one’s home ensures that police resources will be focused on crimes that have a more detrimental effect on society as a whole.

Of considerable importance is that, even if Initiative 71 passes, it still faces the potential of being overturned by an act of Congress, which is, of course, less than a model of functionality. This reality serves to further highlight why Washingtonians should be able to determine their laws for themselves, especially those that have a real and measurable impact on their lives — but this is an argument for another day. In its oversight role, Congress should take care to not be so domineering that it undermines the clearly articulated will of D.C. citizens, which would be the case if it were to overturn Initiative 71 after its passage.

While Georgetown students who are registered to vote in their home states cannot vote in support of Initiative 71, those who are registered in D.C. should make sure to head to the polls Tuesday.

Given the currently dysfunctional federal government, it is not to be taken for granted that Washington, D.C., will lead on important issues of our time. On Nov. 4, Washingtonians will have that chance. We should vote “yes” on Initiative 71 to assure that we make use of it.