Georgetown Students Discuss the Multifaceted Crisis in Maui’s Wildfire Battle

Students from Georgetown’s Hawaii Club are raising concerns about the lingering impacts of climate change and the tourism industry in Hawaii following Maui’s deadly wildfires, which resulted in the destruction of the historic town of Lahaina and the loss of 115 lives, with more than 200 still missing. 

In the aftermath of the fires, as many Hawaiians attempt to rebuild, many, including students who hail from Hawaii, are sounding the alarm about the impact that climate change and the tourism industry has on their home. 

The fires started on Aug. 8 and authorities are currently investigating whether the fires were caused by downed power lines during strong winds amid dry conditions. A drought in the region, combined with other severe weather events, exacerbated the spread of these wildfires.

Luka Wohl (SFS ’25), a member of the Georgetown Hawaii Club, said residents of Hawaii believe climate change contributed to the intensity of the fires. 

“The wildfires were a result of climate change due to the recent increase in hurricanes during this season,” Wohl told The Hoya. “Residents of Hawai‘i realized that the sheer devastation of this tragedy lies in the historical systematic neglect of infrastructure and overall well-being on the islands for local families.” 

weatherTAP | Professors from the Earth Commons Institute and Georgetown students from Hawai’i reflect on the devastation of the wildfires that ravaged the Hawaiian island of Maui, and the impact that climate change has on us all.

Taylor Jones, an assistant professor in the Earth Commons, said the Hawaiian climate likely contributed to the intensity of the fires. 

“The biggest driver of the Maui wildfire in particular was the weather,” Jones wrote to The Hoya. “The combination of a slow-moving hurricane and some other weather systems resulted in gusty winds and dry air, which caused the fire to spread very quickly over the west side of the island.”

Wohl said rising ocean temperatures have led to stronger winds that contribute to the rapid spread of wildfires, impacting not only the environment but also the vital food sources of the region. 

“The historical significance of areas like Lahaina, once dominated by sugar plantations, plays a role in this ecological imbalance. Around three years ago, the onset of wildfires marked a turning point,” Wohl said.

Unlike the slower onset impact of climate change in some areas of the world, Hawaii has experienced its effects rapidly and visibly. Noriko O’Shea (SFS ’25), also a member of Georgetown Hawaii Club, said in the aftermath of the fires, tourism was put over the needs of victims. 

“The biggest takeaway from O‘ahu was a reminder of how there is a constant prioritization of the tourism industry over Native and local lives and voices,” O’Shea wrote. 

“The contributors to the severity of the fire rooted in colonial legacies, responses from leaders, and even the encouragement of tourism to Maui today while various fires still burn, the value of profit over limited resources that are more stressed than ever highlight the issues that Kānaka (Native Hawaiians) and kama’aina (locals) have been fighting for years,” O’Shea added. 

In the days after the fire, many Hawaiian residents criticized tourists who continued to visit parts of Maui most impacted by the fires. Some videos showed tourists swimming and surfing in waters just days before people escaped fires. 

Wohl said tourism has had a constant negative impact on Hawaiian residents. 

“On every island, we sometimes have to limit our water use, as in not watering our plants and yards, taking fewer showers, etc, due to the overconsumption of these resources, while hotels and those in the tourist industry have no restrictions. These water restrictions also coincide with high seasons of tourism,” Wohl said. 

The balance between catering to tourists and safeguarding the interests of local residents and natives has become increasingly challenging, Wohl said, sparking debates over where resources should be directed. 

“While I do believe that over-tourism is an issue, I do not believe that this should fall on the tourist,” Wohl said. “Rather, I blame the state government for the constant inability to care for its own people through common sense legislation and regulations that would limit the harms of over-tourism.”

Tim Bartley, a professor in the Earth Commons and department of sociology, said the wildfires are connected to larger climate change concerns. 

“The Maui wildfires probably do feel somewhat distant for a lot of people elsewhere in the U.S., but it’s hard to think of any region of the country that hasn’t felt the consequences of climate change over the past several years,” Bartley wrote to The Hoya. “The question is whether local concerns and global connectedness can combine to change our approach–or whether we are just becoming desensitized and blasé, like the proverbial frogs in boiling water.”

Wohl said effective solutions must extend beyond science to incorporate historical, social and cultural perspectives, ensuring a holistic approach to safeguarding both the environment and the well-being of Maui’s people.

“It is so much more complicated than simply just the science,” Wohl wrote.