5 Reasons You Can’t Miss Chris Kluwe on Campus

chris kluwe

Chris Kluwe is coming! He’ll be in Walsh 394 at 6:30 tonight! You can meet him! For those of you who don’t already know, Chris Kluwe is a retired Minnesota Vikings punter, before his NFL career he played for UCLA and he is the ultimate ally. Before I get into all the reasons you really can’t afford to not hear what he has to say when he gets to campus, here is a little background information:

After Baltimore Ravens player,Brendon Ayanbadejo, voiced his support for same-sex marriage, a state delegate from Maryland sent a letter to the Raven’s owner asking him to keep Ayanbadejo quiet. Chris Kluwe had a few awesome things to say about that in a not-so-kindly-worded letter. This leads me to all the reasons you do not want to miss this event:

1. His fearless wit is something to learn from: Chris Kluwe immediately responded to the Maryland politician’s letter saying, “I find it inconceivable that you are an elected official of Maryland’s state government. Your vitriolic hatred and bigotry make me ashamed and disgusted to think that you are in any way responsible for shaping policy at any level.” Roger that, Chris. Next time you’re in a jam for a witty comeback, just think: What would Kluwe do-we?

2. He can teach you how to intellectually insult someone: One of Kluwe’s favorite things to do is to hide the point he is trying to make in an insult that sounds so factual and sophisticated that people may not even realize it’s insulting. Talk about effective. He also enjoys combining curse words with other unpredictable words to make things funny. See the OUT Magazine article for his blog-unfriendly example and his full letter.

3. He is breaking molds: Kluwe represents those of us who understand how hard it can be to identify with multiple groups and enjoy a variety of different activities. As an NFL player who also likes video games and literature, he can certainly give you a lesson or two in how to juggle your vast and varying interests and identities.

4. Ellen Degeneres admires himNeed I say more?

5. Most importantly, you’ll be adding awareness: LGBTQ rights are being fought for by students right here on the Hilltop. Take this opportunity to further your knowledge, raise awareness or get engaged for the first time.

"See you there.."
“See you there…”

Images and quotes: out.com