A Love Letter to GU Farmer’s Market

April 27, 2022

To my one true love, 

As another Wednesday comes and goes, I must let you know how much I care about you. How my life would be nothing without you. How my weeks would pass without a midweek pick-me-up. The semester would be monotonous, lacking any joy or good food. 

I will tell you how I feel in every way possible: fingers to keyboard, pen to paper, quill to parchment. Whatever it takes, I will do it. You must know how I truly feel, once and for all. 

You mean the world to me, and I don’t care who knows it. I will shout it from the tops of buildings if I must. You truly are the bane of my (wallet’s) existence and the object of all of my (food) desires. Please never leave me again. Those few weeks apart in the winter were the worst of my life. I will do whatever is necessary to make sure we stay together. We may be long distance next semester as I galavant around Europe in pursuit of my studies, but know that you are always in my mind, heart and most important of all, stomach. Trust that we will make it work. I promise. We need to make it work. You are my everything, Georgetown University (GU) Farmer’s Market. 

Although you rejected me from the board, I shall not hold that against you. I could not. Why deny myself great food every Wednesday? Over something so petty? I wouldn’t dare. 

As I leave my Spanish class, stomach rumbling, every Wednesday at 1:45 p.m., all I can think about is all of your wondrous options. My mouth waters as I think of Borek-G chicken and rice while trekking the short distance from Healy Hall to Red Square. I think of how no matter what I eat that Wednesday, it will always pair elegantly with my signature Rainbow Fish iced tea from The Corp. What better way to spend a Wednesday than devouring a heavenly lunch? 

Prospective students gape with awe as they note your popularity. The front of campus glows with smiling faces as tours pass through, all because of you. They cross their fingers and hope one day they too can enjoy a Timber Pizza Co. Green Monster pizza as they sit on Copley Lawn and chat with friends. 

It all feels so collegiate, sitting on the lawn with friends, enjoying a good meal after class. None of that would be possible without you. 

Even though the garbage would overflow during your post-covid relaunch or the pizza would run out as I was next in line, I will only ever speak highly of you. After all, it’s not your fault. Who knew you would be so popular? Clearly not the pizza stand or whoever planned garbage disposal. You simply surpass all expectations, and for that, I adore you. 

They say write what you know, and all I know is that I love and appreciate you. What will I do without you next semester? If only I could pick you up and take you with me to Madrid. Oh, I do hope we survive this long-distance relationship! They say distance makes the heart grow fonder, but I don’t know how much fonder I can be. You deserve the world and I could not imagine taking you away from your spot on this beloved campus. It would be like leaving half of your identity behind. You belong at Georgetown. And one day I will return, but for now, I will spend as much time as possible with you. 

All my love forever and always,

Em