Alum Elected Costa Rican President

On Sunday night, Costa Rica elected its first female president, Laura Chinchilla (GRD ’89). Chinchilla, leading the National Liberation Party on the ballot, triumphed with 47 percent of the vote.

The Georgetown alumna’s platform included advocating for a free-trade agreement, the establishment of a progressive income tax, improving quality of life for children and senior citizens and the creation of jobs in a country that has been severely affected by the global economy.

Chinchilla will succeed Oscar Arias in May, when Arias finishes his second term as president. Prior to her election, Chinchilla served as vice minister from 1994 to 1996 and later as minister of public security from 1996 to 1998. She was a member of the National Assembly from 2002 to 2006 and was elected as one of Arias’ two vice presidents from 2006 to 2010.

In a politically stable democracy within a historically violent and unstable region, Chinchilla’s position as minister of public security boosted her popularity for her dedication to fighting crime, another item on her platform.

Her socially conservative stance – she opposes gay marriage and abortion – mirrors that of her predecessor, Arias, and has led her opponents to label her as “Arias’ puppet.”

Despite this, Costa Rican students at Georgetown were cheered by the election of Chinchilla.

“Despite chauvinism and violence against women in Central and Latin American countries, this is a big step for women in the country and a progressive step for Costa Rica as a whole,” said Maria Luisa Mendiola (COL ’12), who was born and raised in Costa Rica.

Chinchilla received her undergraduate degree in political science at the University of Costa Rica before studying at Georgetown University, where she earned her masters degree in public policy. When she assumes office in May, Chinchilla will be the fifth female current Latin American president, alongside those in Chile, Argentina, Panama and Nicaragua.

“It’s certainly a moment of happiness, but above all of humility . I won’t betray that confidence,” Chinchilla announced in her acceptance speech Sunday night in the capital of San José, “Thank you, Costa Rica.”