Campus Crime on the Rise, Theft Decreases

Though the number of crimes committed on campus rose in October, theft remained the most frequently reported violation.

There were a total of 45 reported crimes in October, a slight increase from the 42 incidents that occurred in September.

Although theft remained the most commonly occurring crime, the number of incidents has decreased. In October, 14 thefts occurred, compared to the 20 that occurred in September.

For crimes of theft, the Department of Public Safety distinguishes between theft in the first degree and theft in the second degree.

According to Associate Director of Public Safety Joseph Smith, theft in the first degree occurs when someone takes or uses the property of someone else that is equivalent to $1,000 or greater. In the second degree, the property simply must be of some value.

This more minor violation is the most commonly reported incident on campus. Though there were three first-degree thefts in the month of September, none were reported in October.

The university also saw a decrease in the number of on-campus burglaries with the number of reported incidents dropping from 10 to one.

DPS also categorizes these incidents in two ways.

Burglary 1 is defined as a crime that occurs in the sleeping area of a residence when the suspect has the intention to take something while someone is present at the residence. DPS differentiates Burglary 2 as an incident when any room, building or vessel is entered with the intention of taking something with or without someone present.

There were no second-degree burglaries during October.

Of the total 45 reported crimes, 14 are still pending. A total of nine of the cases have been closed, three of which included Metropolitan Police Department arrests. Two of the arrests involved non-Georgetown affiliates, one for driving while intoxicated and the other for assault of a Georgetown student, while the third was arrested after being apprehended with a stolen bike.

Five of the cases closed because there were no leads, and in one instance the complainants did not wish to pursue the matter further.

The remaining incident was closed because the case was determined to be unfounded. What was originally thought to be a break-in was actually the result of damage to the building. No items were found missing, and the case was dropped.

A total of 19 cases were forwarded to student conduct.