Community Mourns Fr.Witek

The Georgetown community learned last week that Fr. John Witek, S.J., died at Georgetown University Hospital on Sunday, Jan. 31. Witek was 76 years old and had suffered from cancer for many years.

Witek spent his career teaching at Georgetown University, where he also obtained his Ph.D. in history. He was a professor in the history department and specialized in the growth of Christianity in East Asia. Witek was a valued member of the Society of Jesus, which he entered in 1952, according to Fr. John Langan, S.J., rector of Georgetown’s Jesuit Community. Witek was ordained to the priesthood in 1965.

A funeral Mass was celebrated for Witek on Saturday, in Wolfington Hall. Last weekend’s snow storm prevented the Mass from taking place at its original location, Dahlgren Chapel. According to Fr. Kevin O’Brien, S.J., executive director of campus ministry, many of Witek’s friends were unable to attend the funeral because of the snow storm that hit the D.C. Metro area Friday. He recalled, however, that about 40 Jesuits were present in addition to Fr. Witek’s sister, Joan Witek, and relatives. Along with students and colleagues from Georgetown, attendance at the Mass totaled about 75 people.

Fr. John Langan, S.J. presided over the funeral Mass.

The first reading was read in Chinese by Fr. Dennis McNamara, S.J., of the sociology department to honor Witek’s study of Asian history. Fr. Lan Ngo, S.J., read the second reading. The homily was offered by Fr. Ron Murphy, S.J., Fr. Witek’s friend and current professor of German at Georgetown.

“The funeral Mass was a beautiful celebration of Fr. Witek’s life as a teacher, scholar and Jesuit priest. He was a devoted teacher. When hospitalized in December, he made sure that all of his bluebook exams were graded and final grades submitted. He was always talking about his students and wanted very much to teach this semester,” O’Brien said.

O’Brien said he was inspired by Witek’s unfailing faith and freedom. In their last conversation, Witek said, “I recognize more than ever that being born was a gift from God and every day since. I am ready for whenever God takes me home.”

Witek will be buried in the Jesuit Cemetery at Georgetown.”