CSJ Seeks New Director

After two years under interim leadership, the Center for Social Justice aims to hire a permanent director by the end of the spring semester.

The center’s founder, Kathleen Maas Weigert, left in 2010 after nine years as its director to become an adviser to the provost’s offi ce at Loyola University Chicago, as well as a research professor of social justice.

Following her departure, the Offi ce of the Provost and the Offi ce of the President decided to reassess the scope of social justice work at Georgetown.

Administrators led working groups of a few dozen faculty members, students and senior administrators to consider campus and community impact, alumni, academics and national partnerships. The results of these discussions were intended to be used to create a guideline for the job description of the next permanent director of the CSJ.

In July 2010, Jane Genster, a leader of the evaluation effort, was appointed interim executive director of the CSJ after serving as university vice president and general counsel from 2000 to 2009.

According to Associate Director Raymond Shiu, the CSJ is waiting to hire a permanent director until itfi nds a candidate capable of matching the stability that Weigert provided for the center.

University spokeswoman Stacy Kerr wrote in an email that Genster has remained interim director for a second academic year in order to ease the search for a permanent hire.

“Although Jane is the interim director, there has been little that is ‘interim’ about her leadership,” wrote.

While at the helm of the CSJ, Genster has made several key hiring decisions to strengthen the foundation of the organization.

Earlier this month, she promoted Shiu, formerly the director of student leadership and special programs, to the position of associate director.

“She has brought a great deal of resources and focus during our transition,” Shiu said. “She has been working to lay the groundwork for our permanent director.”

For Carly Rosenfield (COL ’14), a member of the CSJ’s Advisory Board for Student Organizations, the new director should demonstrate the same passion and work ethic as current CSJ staff members.

“[The new director] needs to be engaged in community service and excited about social justice,” she said.