Discounted Double-Sided Printing Debuts in UIS Labs

Most university printing facilities will now allow users to print double-sided for a reduced rate of five cents per page, marking the culmination of a long campaign by students, faculty and campus environmental groups.

As of this weekend, University Information Services labs and print stations in the Intercultural Center, St. Mary’s Hall, Harbin Hall, LXR, Copley Hall, McCarthy Hall, Reynolds Family Hall, New South and Village C will offer discounted, black-and-white double-sided printing. Though not yet available in Lauinger Library, UIS staff members will begin discussions with library staff about reducing printing costs there next week.

“It’s something we’ve been working on for a long time, so it’s great to see our plans coming to fruition,” said Claire Austin (SFS ’12), co-president of Eco-Action.

Audrey Stewart, program coordinator for sustainability at the university, said that switching to double-sided printing would have immediate effects on the Georgetown community.

“Printing double sided is a simple, easy way for students to cut down on paper waste and help create a more sustainable campus,” she wrote in an email.

Beth Ann Bergsmark, director of UIS, agreed that the initiative was an important step.

“This was a great idea and will enhance our sustainability efforts by reducing paper consumption on campus,” she wrote in an email.

Stewart added that the program would have benefits beyond the obvious ones of decreasing paper usage.

“Conservation also yields other benefits, such as carbon reduction and energy savings,” Stewart wrote. “Lowering our consumption actually helps shrink our campus’s carbon footprint.”

Many students said they are excited about the lower cost of double-sided printing, which could cut the amount of money they spend on printing in half.

“It’ll be great not to have to mooch off my MSB friends as much,” Matt Forzano (COL ’13) said.

Austin also said that she hopes professors will begin to accept double-sided assignments.

Stewart said that until the double-sided discount is available in the library, there are other ways for students to maintain sustainable practices.

“Other simple tips for reducing paper waste include saving one-sided sheets for use as note paper, cutting down on flyering and ensuring you’re only printing what you need,” she wrote.