GUSA Executive Race 2015

ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA Five of the six tickets gathered in Red Square to hang campaign posters as the 2015 GUSA executive race commenced Thursday at midnight.
ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA

6 Tickets Crowd This Year’s GUSA Field

The 2015 Georgetown University Student Association executive race began at the stroke of midnight yesterday, as five campaigns vied for advertising space in Red Square at the start of the official campaign period. A sixth was not present at the campaign starting line, but has nonetheless tossed its hat in the ring, making this year’s race the most crowded since 2012.

ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA
ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA

Half of Executive Candidates Previously Linked to GUSA

The six tickets in this year’s Georgetown University Student Association executive race have fielded a mixture of GUSA insiders and outsiders, a marked change from last year’s insider-dominated race.

A1_GUSAposters2015 GUSA Executive Election Candidates Present Platforms

The 2015 Georgetown University Student Association election, which began Thursday at midnight in Red Square, features five student pairs, who have publicized their platforms on their respective websites and social media pages. The presidential and vice presidential tickets include Joe Luther (COL ’16) and Connor Rohan (COL ’16), Sara Margolis (COL ’16) and Ryan Shymansky (COL ’16), Abbey McNaughton (COL ’16) and Will Simons (COL ’16), Tim Rosenberger (COL ’16) and Reno Varghese (SFS ’16), and Chris Wadibia (COL ’16) and Meredith Cheney (COL ’16). A sixth candidate group of Mike Minahan (COL ’16) and Stephen Paduano (COL ’16) officially withdrew from the race Sunday morning. The candidates will discuss their platforms further in two debates on Feb. 11 and Feb. 16 and the race will culminate in a vote Feb. 19.

ISABEL BINAMIRA/THE HOYA
ISABEL BINAMIRA/THE HOYA

Unconventional Trio Serves as Watchdog

As the five tickets campaign for the Georgetown University Student Association executive position, hundreds of fliers and social media blasts will go up, seemingly countless meet-and-greets will be held and thousands of doors will be knocked on.

Next Executive Key to 2018 Campus Plan

The next Georgetown University Student Association executive, who will be elected next week, will play an important role in the upcoming negotiations for the 2018 Campus Plan. The university and the neighboring community will negotiate to solidify plans for the next 20 years of construction and maintenance around campus as part of the 2018 Campus Plan. Contentious negotiations for the 2010 Campus Plan required the university to house more students on campus, necessitating extensive construction projects around campus.

No Candidates Linked to Secret Societies This Year

None of the 10 candidates running for Georgetown University Student Association executive office hold membership in a secret society, compared to four of eight candidates in last year’s election. Secret societies dominated media coverage of the 2013 GUSA executive race, with the discovery of leaked emails revealing the identities of several members of the Second Society of Stewards, including one GUSA executive candidate and the current GUSA chief of staff. Last year, four candidates running for executive office confirmed involvement in secret societies. The Stewards and an offshoot known as the Thirds are the main secret societies on campus.

ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA
ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA

GUSA VP Contenders Meet in Debate

The five Georgetown University Student Association vice presidential candidates participated in Wednesday’s Election Commission-moderated debate, answering questions from campus media, members of the GUSA Finance and Appropriations committee and those posed through Twitter.

GUSA Executive Race 2015: Ticket Profiles 

Full profiles on all the candidates in the 2015 race.

GUSA VP Contenders Meet in Debate

ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA
ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA

GUSA Presidential Hopefuls Clash in Heated Debate

The five presidential candidates in the Georgetown University Student Association executive race participated in a heated debate Monday evening in the Healey Family Student Center.

The debate featured presidential candidates Chris Wadibia (COL ’16), Abbey McNaughton (COL ’16), Tim Rosenberger (COL ’16), Sara Margolis (COL ’16) and Joe Luther (COL ’16). GUSA Election Commissioner Pavan Rajgopal (SFS ’14) moderated the debate, which featured questions from members of campus media and the GUSA Finance and Appropriations Committee, as well as those posed through Twitter and written on paper by members of the audience.

Screen Shot 2015-02-17 at 10.52.53 PMGUSA Poll 2015 Results

The Hoya conducted a campus-wide, door-to-door poll of Georgetown students on Sunday night in advance of the Georgetown University Student Association executive election Feb. 18 to 19. A total of 616 Georgetown students completed surveys, which asked students about their views on the relevance of GUSA and the performance of the current GUSA executives, their views of the current election — including their vote choice — and a series of demographic questions.

10830624_943324109026198_867714314726153520_oLuther, Rohan Lead GUSA Poll

Joe Luther (COL ’16) and Connor Rohan (COL ’16) are leading the 2015 Georgetown University Student Association executive race with 23 percent of likely voters choosing their ticket, according to a door-to-door poll conducted by The Hoya on Monday night.

Executive Election Candidates Release Budgets

Candidates for the 2015 Georgetown University Student Association executive election have submitted their proposed administrative budgets for the upcoming year, ranging from $29,000 to $78,410.