GUSA Passes Amendment To Refine Funding Legislation

*Updated 7:34 a.m. February 19*

Georgetown University Student Association passed legislation on Sunday that refined the recently passed funding reform legislation.

The amendment to the bill, which was introduced at last week’s meeting but was tabled until Sunday, requires the GUSA Finance and Appropriations Committee to hold a public meeting within seven days of completing the draft budget in order to listen to appeals from concerned advisory board chairs.

“This gives advisory boards an official avenue to voice their concerns on this process without making the process too inefficient,” said Adam Mortillaro (COL ’12), who sponsored the amendment.

Colton Malkerson (COL ’13), a member of the Finance and Appropriations Committee, asked Mortillaro if he thought this new measure would result in excessive delays in the funding process.

ortillaro said he did not believe so, and senate Speaker Adam Talbot (COL ’12) agreed that officially establishing a period of public comment was a positive step.

“It doesn’t institutionalize any more time – the seven-day waiting period is already institutionalized, so that doesn’t add any more time,” Talbot said. “I think that it is connoted in the wording that it was a time for members of the advisory boards to voice their concerns.”

The senate voted unanimously to pass the act.

The senate also passed a resolution introduced by Malkerson that requires the official meetings of the GUSA Executive to be open to the public and that the meeting minutes must be posted online.

The legislation, which was originally proposed as a bylaws change, was changed to a resolution after some senators said they believed it was interfering with the independence of the executive and that rule would be difficult to enforce.

“We don’t run the executive and I don’t think we should spend our time forcing the executive to change what they want to do or how they want to conduct themselves,” Finance and Appropriations Committee Chair Nick Troiano (COL ’11) said.

The resolution passed with 10 votes in favor, one vote against and four abstentions.

At Sunday’s meeting, the senate also discussed the presidential debate, which took place on Wednesday, and the upcoming budget summit, which has a tentative date of Feb. 27. “