Live Like the Irish

It’s not just the Irish who are lucky this year-with St. Patrick’s Day falling on a Saturday, everyone gets to turn this into a daylong and night celebration. Now DC is no Boston, and the Hoyas are no Fighting Irish, but we all have a little Irish in us. So, put on some green, make yourself an Irish coffee, and prepare to celebrate the day like the Irish do. 4E has compiled a list of things you all should do to be as Irish as possible:

1. Eat corned beef & cabbage with some Irish soda bread: It’s more delicious than it sounds! Irish restaurants all over D.C. will have this traditional Irish meal on their menus. However, if pressed for time and unwilling to leave Georgetown, the Tombs’ Irish heritage has come out with its version of this dish for the weekend.
  2. Watch a Rugby game: Any true Irishman is a rugby fan, so jump on the bandwagon and watch England host Ireland live at 1pm at Fado Irish Pub (808 Seventh Street NW). The pub will show five additional rugby matches, so get there as early as 7 am Saturday morning if you want to start the day off early.
  3. Listen to Irish music: Whether you like the Dropkick Murphys, Shannon Sharon, or the Dubliners, make sure to throw on some traditional Irish music to get you in the spirit. If you are in the mood for some live Irish music, head to one of the many Irish pubs in D.C. The Irish are known for their drinking songs, so make sure to experience them on the biggest day of the year.
  4. Drink a pint of Guinness:  Yes, it’s heavy, but it’s definitely necessary today!
  5. Live by an Irishman’s Philosophy:

In life, there are only two things to worry about, 

Either you are well, or you are sick. 

If you are well, there is nothing to worry about, 

But if you are sick, you have two things to worry about;

Either you will live, or you will die. 

If you live, there is nothing to worry about, 

If you die, you have two things to worry about; 

Either you will go to heaven or to hell.

If you go to heaven, there is nothing to worry about,

But if you go to hell, 

You’ll be so busy shaking hands with your friends,

You won’t have time to worry