Supreme Court to Reconsider Affirmative Action

The Supreme Court of the Unites States announced Tuesday that it will hear a case challenging affirmative action admission policies.

The case, Fisher vs. University of Texas, could potentially result in the elimination of the use of race as a category for college admission.

The complainant in the case is Abigail Fisher, a white student who argues that she was denied admission to the university because of the school’s affirmative action policy.

If decided in Fisher’s favor, the case would overturn a 2003 Supreme Court ruling that allowed colleges to implement a variety of affirmative action measures designed to increase the diversity of their student bodies.

According to experts, the current court is more conservative than the one that ruled in 2003, meaning that it is more likely to overturn the decision.

Such a ruling would have wide-ranging ramifications in the college admissions process for millions of high school students across the country and could potentially change the dynamic of admissions at Georgetown.

Director of Media Relations Rachel Pugh said that Georgetown seeks to foster diversity in its pool of expected students but could not comment on how the university’s admissions process could be affected.

“[The] university takes a holistic approach to the undergraduate admissions process … taking into account a myriad of factors that reflect an applicant’s experience, background and talent,” she wrote in an email. “We are watching with interest the developments from the Supreme Court.