Yates Undergoes Repairs After Flooding

Facilities at Yates Field House flooded on Sunday as a result of the heavy rain Washington, D.C., experienced over the weekend. Yates was closed all of Sunday for repairs, but reopened Monday.

Between two and three inches of rain fell this weekend, according to The Washington Post. Rainfall accumulated on Kehoe Field, which sits atop Yates’ roof, and overflowed into the facilities through one of the areaways on the field. More rain has fallen in the first two weeks of February this year than fell in November, December and January combined, The Washington Post reported.

Meghan Dimsa (GRD ’13), director of Yates, said the building was closed to make repairs necessary for its operation.

“To ensure the safety of students, faculty, and staff it was necessary to close the facility to extract the water, clean the affected areas and inspect the safety of equipment and electrical outlets. We appreciate the swift and thorough responses that allowed us to reopen Monday,” Dimsa wrote in an email to The Hoya.

Yates is currently operational, though adjustments were made to be ready for Monday operation. According to an email sent to Yates staff members from Dimsa, the weights and squat racks had to be moved from the areas where they are continuing to extract water. Dimsa also wrote that a risk management agent came to ensure Yates was ready to resume normal operations before the gym opened on Monday.

Kehoe Field has had drainage problems in the past because of structural problems the university is currently in the process of addressing.

Yates’ lightweight concrete roof does not properly drain rainwater, which has caused the field and the roof itself to deteriorate from the accumulating water. Since 1979, the field has been significantly repaired twice, costing $1.8 million in 1987 and an additional $7 million in 2002.

Rachel Pugh, Georgetown University’s senior director for strategic communications, confirmed there is ongoing work to repair Kehoe in an email to The Hoya.

The university has also explored plans for the long-term future of Yates in conjunction with long-term master planning and future capital campaigns, which is set to culminate in the demolition of Yates by 2036.

After the university conducted a feasibility study on short-term replacements for Kehoe Field last year, the board of directors committed to invest $500,000 in October in an engineering plan that includes construction documents, schedules and estimated costs for the temporary repair of the field, according to an Oct. 5 news release from the university.

“This is an important project for our community,” Todd Olson, vice president for student affairs, said in the news release. “After studying options to replace the field surface, we are pleased to be moving forward with plans for a replacement that will restore three acres of recreational space for our community and allow numerous club and intramural sports to practice and compete on campus.”