WOMEN’S LACROSSE | Hoyas Rip Pair of Connecticut Foes

The Georgetown women’s lacrosse team displayed its offensive prowess in a pair of wins over opponents from Connecticut this past weekend. The Hoyas defeated both UConn and Yale to improve to 4-5 on the season, and on Sunday 10 different players scored in a 16-3 home victory over the Bulldogs.

On Friday Georgetown edged out the Connecticut Huskies (6-4, 0-2 Big East) to move to 2-0 in conference play. A four-goal run early in the second half put the Huskies ahead, but the Hoyas regained control and eventually captured the 14-12 victory.

Senior attack Jacqueline Giles scored first for the Blue and Gray, but Connecticut answered quickly with a goal from Husky junior attack M.E. Lapham. Georgetown freshman midfielder Kelyn Freedman then responded with her first goal of the game to put the Hoyas up, 2-1.

The two teams traded goals for the majority of the first half, as both teams managed to capitalize on almost every possession. Sophomore midfielder Sophia Thomas notched four goals in the first half, while Jackson and Freedman each added one, leaving the Hoyas ahead, 8-7, at the break.

But Connecticut stole the momentum early in the second half as a four-goal run put the Huskies up 11-8 with 20 minutes to play. The Hoyas fired back, however, and regained control with a 6-1, game-ending run; Kirr, Freedman and Thomas each tallied two in the offensive burst.

“I think offensively we played really well against UConn. We stayed focused on the offensive end and really worked them,” Fried said. “Defensively, we struggled on the day, and we had to work our way back in during the second half. But we did a really nice job riding the ball, and we had a number of good possessions.”

Thomas led the Hoyas with a career-best six goals, while Kirr added two goals and four assists for six total points. Freedman made a strong showing in her second game back from injury, managing four goals on the day.

“I think the biggest thing we still need to work on is our intensity level and maintaining it for 60 minutes,” Fried said. “We have enough talent, but we have to stay disciplined and we have to stay in the game mentally for those entire 60 minutes.”

The Hoyas took a two-goal lead on the Bulldogs (2-8, 0-3 Ivy) early in the first half as freshman midfielder Hannah Franklin opened the scoring for Georgetown. Moments later, senior attack and captain Jordy Kirr followed up the freshman’s goal with one of her own to put the Hoyas up, 2-0.

Yale answered with two goals from freshman attack Jen DeVito, but those would be the Bulldogs’ only two points until late in the second half. Georgetown dominated the rest of the opening stanza, ending the half on a 9-0 run in which seven different players found the back of the net. Both Kirr and senior attack Kathleen Dwyer had two goals in the run , which put the Hoyas up, 11-2, at the break.

“We played at a good pace in the first half and had 11 different people with points,” Head Coach Ricky Fried said. “I thought we shared the ball really well, making it hard for the other team to focus in on one or two players.”

The Yale defense stepped up its intensity in the second half, though, holding the Blue and Gray to just five goals. Senior midfielder and captain Mary Beth Brophy notched her first goal of the game off a pass from Kirr to open the second half, while sophomore midfielder Rosie Corcoran tallied her second of the game just four minutes later.

Brophy scored her second goal of the game at 17:34, and sophomore classmates midfielder Kelsi Bozel and attack Evan O’Neill each added one to close out the half. The Bulldogs managed one goal before the end of play, but the Hoyas came out comfortably on top, 16-3.

Georgetown’s offensive strength shined Sunday as the Hoyas outshot Yale, 37-12. The Hoyas also demonstrated sound defensive skills, using their transitional rides and double teams to cause 27 turnovers. Freshman Barb Black anchored the team in goal with two saves, while senior Lauren Thomas managed one.

“I think our biggest strength against Yale was our ride,” Fried said. “They had trouble getting the ball out of their defensive end, and that gave us a number of second- and third-chance opportunities in the offensive end.”

Its back to conference play for Georgetown on Friday. The Hoyas will play host to Cincinnati at 3:30 pm at MultiSport Facility.